RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next
Sponsored By:
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if it's a dying thing but I agree with you that I like socializing with people. We like staying at LazyDays resort in Tampa (located behind the dealership). They have a bar and grill type restaurant onsite near the office and my wife and I always go there and sit at the bar. I always run into nice people who we enjoy talking to from all over the country. We both work full time so we are basically weekend warriors and we enjoy talking to the full timers about their adventures traveling the country.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tend to more see "shut-ins" at upscale RV parks/resorts in hot weather where AC is used.

I don't think that I've seen fewer people wanting to socialize. I always do the rounds at CG's, and sit outside at the table or lounge chairs as much as the weather permits.

Have you tried cooking bacon outside in the morning?

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone's socializing on the Twitter device.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

We both work full time so we are basically weekend warriors and we enjoy talking to the full timers about their adventures traveling the country.

Burch

Same with us i.e. we both of us work full time as well.

We've haven't been to the same RV park twice & covered 2 states so far (NV & CA) & it's been pretty much the same everywhere...

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on what you consider socializing.

Everyplace I go people are socializing big time. But our socializing is doing activities, exchanging places to visit or go, figuring out how to fix an RV problem and maybe having a quick bite together. But, if it's hanging out in lawn chairs, with drinks just talking about stuff as if at some old folks retirement community, that's not what many are into anymore.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, I like to sit outside and people watch. And also say hi too. While I like to be inside to relax, I like to be outside as much as possible. Even when we were at Cedar Point in Mid July when it was 95 and the humidity was very high, I was still sitting outside relaxing and drinking a beer.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Itsy's comment. I've found that if you ask for "expertise" , people will tell you something. Very few people want to know about you, and even fewer want your advice without asking for it.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

We tend to more see "shut-ins" at upscale RV parks/resorts in hot weather where AC is used.

I don't think that I've seen fewer people wanting to socialize. I always do the rounds at CG's, and sit outside at the table or lounge chairs as much as the weather permits.

Have you tried cooking bacon outside in the morning?

LoL on the bacon thought. People must have a lot more comfy beds that we have as seems like nobody is up & about until lunch. We hang outside to the max we can & usually have our pups with us (& they're the kind of small dog that a lot of people like) & almost always have a beer cooler out beside the lawn chairs!

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely Powertour! Been RVing since 1974, in parks, boondocking, etc. Shoot, there was always socializing going on. You would wave at somebody driving down the park road and wave, they would wave back. Now you get either "that deer in the headlight look" or the facial expression of "what the heck are you waving at me for"? It also carries over to being on the road. This past summer quite a few folks were telling about trying to get an RV driver that there was a problem with their rig. And they would just motor on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.