RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are outgoing most will reciprocate, Start the conversation, Ask questions and ask for advice.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Friday night I went to a small rock concert by a band called Thunderstruck with my girlfriend Lyla. She is a different type of person then me. There were no seats only a few small tables to stand around. When we got there we decided to stay at a table and make it ours. At one point she had to use the restroom so I stayed by the table leaning on it by myslef as she was gone. Some guy saw me there by myself and struck up a conversation. I was OK with that. We talked for a couple of minutes about the weather and our bad rotater cuffs (lol) .

Lyla came back and I talked to him for a little while longer but, she was uncomfortable and she whispered in my ear "Do you know that guy?" I shrugged and said no. He seemed to take that as a hint and he said goodbye and went back to his own group of friends.

See,,, I was OK talking to a stranger but, she is all worried that the old guy with his arm in a sling might be a mass murderer or something. lol

I'm sorry to say but, people like Lyla and winning and everyone is afraid of each other these days.

I blame some of it on these types of TV shows like the old one called "Cops" and other shows like that. She watches them all day long. If you watch shows about people getting murdered by strangers and you see a new episode several times a day you will start to believe that everyone is a murderer.

(I wonder how many people get killed by strangers on TV everyday as compared to how many people actually get killed by strangers everyday ?)

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to me, more people get murdered/killed by someone they know, rather than a stranger.

Jerry

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I blame some of it on these types of TV shows like the old one called "Cops" and other shows like that. She watches them all day long. If you watch shows about people getting murdered by strangers and you see a new episode several times a day you will start to believe that everyone is a murderer.

(I wonder how many people get killed by strangers on TV everyday as compared to how many people actually get killed by strangers everyday ?)

I think that is exactly why "non-boondockers" and non campers think boondocking is dangerous. They think there are bands of criminals roaming the countryside and deserts looking for victims, just like in the old TV shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke.
JK

* This post was edited 01/27/20 08:51am by JKJavelin *

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- Coming up!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RV parks just seem to be highly social. Lots of potlucks and visiting and card playing, but mainly discussions about RVs and RV parts and maintenance. I have other things to do with my life.

Even less social and more transient camping areas seem to have their share of people who love to talk. Yes, they love to talk. They don't listen. They just want an audience. A great many people in this category seem to have had lives and stories that are not very interesting to anyone but themselves.

I find it rare to meet someone who is interesting and worth the time. Last trip I traveled for 4 months. I met a camping neighbor in Yellowstone. We were both lone travelers and spent a couple of evenings talking. He had had an interesting career and was considering an entirely new career choice. Apparently I was a good sounding board because two days later he had made up his mind, got in his vehicle and started his 3 day trip home to begin his new career. I find those sorts of situations to be very rare and not at all a reason that motivates my travel.

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, like James Jones said in his book The Thin Red Line: you pretend to believe my bullsh*t and I'll pretend to believe yours.

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badsix wrote:

I,m with the O/P. we have got into the r/v seen about 3 years ago spent a month in Alaska, back to South Dakota and all over Oregon. I can safely say that only one place we stayed was there anyone near sociable. what's wrong with people theses days or is it just a different group of people camping now?

we pulled off in a rundown campground somewhere in Canada. an soon a fellow was pulling in next to us he got parked and I said hello neighbor, when you get settled come over for a beer. he was traveling by himself and soon he was over and what a good time we had talking. the wife was getting ready to make something for diner and ask if he would like to join us, sure he said and got up and went to his R/V and came back with a large bag of fresh caught Halibut. we had a great diner and made a good friend. we all left the next morning and as he was pulling out he handed the wife a bag about 25# of more Halibut and said your nice people.
30 plus years ago me and three of my buddies went for a 2 week trip of Washington and Oregon. we were on Harleys and camping outside on the ground. I never meant so many nice people everywhere we went, it was great. you just don't see that any more. most people now act like your going to rob and **** them. i'm pretty bumbed about r/ving, anymore pulling into a campground is like pulling into a prison. Jay D.

At one time there weren't so many people into RVing. We thought we had more in common with other RVers then, perhaps. I found that while on the road between NY and AK, we were making time and although we didn't shun company, we were busy doing what we needed to do and sleeping for the next stretch of the journal.

Most of our social contacts through RVing came through meetups with people from RV Net, Facebook, and other RV organizations. We went to rallys and rv shows (not allowed to do that now), and organized some local meet-ups.

In the campgrounds, we are cautious about just walking up to people. We were in a campground once and found out that the next night the people in the site across from us were arrested. They were on the run for a violent crime. It made the Canadian news so it must have been big.

There are also the people who come up to us to talk about our Class B. We do love to talk about it, and will show it, but we were just notified by some of our fellow B-ers that there are people out there who ask to see your rig and then rip you off, or worse.

If you are in a campground for more than overnight, you often don't have the opportunity to meet others. One of the places we met some people with whom we are friends after 10 years was a Flying J. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to making friends. It just happens.

Some people RV to make friends, I think. We mostly are that kind of people, but on a long trip, we try to make the most of our time in campgrounds for organizing, resting, and preparation for the next leg of the journey.

2017 Coachmen Galleria

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree that fewer and fewer fellow campers seem to want or be able to initiate sociable contact. But I've found that once you say hello and start up a conversation very few people turn out to be unsociable. That 'Hello' (with the ubiquitous weather comments) generally leads to showing off photos of the Gkids, comparing the day trips and the aches and pains of advancing age, and often 'Hey, we just got a bundle of firewood, pull up a chair and have a beer.'

I think part of it is campers who are like us, don't go camping to hang out at the campground. The RV and campgrounds are our base camp, tools we use to do what we want: riding the ATVs; fishing; visiting aquariums, zoos, museums and other area attractions. Campground-initiated activities (potlucks, pool parties, movies, dances) rarely have any interest for us. And anyway we're usually off someplace else doing whatever it is we want to do that day.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dcmac214- I think you hit upon a important point. People with a limited amount of time are trying to make the most of it with other activities. Seasonals who are there for the winter/summer look at it as a community.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted then deleted my opinion once but...
The last FMCA rally, in Michigan this past spring...the new Towable Folks were clanish and not much socializing. RV Dealers did not show up. I can only ascertain based on limited observation as I was a bit ill and in the coach more than out. Wife was out and involved in things though. She noticed the same thing. We usually make two or three families as friends. We made one with a couple from Wisconsin and we went out to eat and see several times.
The rally was a failure but...the towable Folks did not jump in to help.
I appologize to those that did. It seemed they wanted to sit around in their groups only. I perceive, and I do not miss anything that passes by, that they were intimidated by the $500,000.00 plus coach owners.
Ours certainly is not one of those expensive coaches though.
I have noticed the same things at campgrounds where the Towable Folks and Coachs are together. I don't care how much money you have.
A real strong social director and program at rallys can help this.
And both sides should make the effort to be part of things.
The Folks in the fancy rigs are more outgoing of course, as is to be expected as those feeling their suceess are not intimidated unless someoen shows up in a five million dollar rig and are shallow.
Sojsut stop it. Forget what righ you are in and jump in and make friends and make rallys and get togetehers a huge success and make new friends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.