RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Social media, as in internet forums,....or join Escapees BOF or Family Motor Coach Association. There's plenty of events there, where you meet real people.
Today is the last day of the year, time's a'wasten...

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Absolutely Powertour! Been RVing since 1974, in parks, boondocking, etc. Shoot, there was always socializing going on. You would wave at somebody driving down the park road and wave, they would wave back. Now you get either "that deer in the headlight look" or the facial expression of "what the heck are you waving at me for"? It also carries over to being on the road. This past summer quite a few folks were telling about trying to get an RV driver that there was a problem with their rig. And they would just motor on.

I hear ya & think it's a sad thing.

Side note: Last week my wife was helping a younger girl push her disabled car out of traffic & dozens of people just drove right on by them....

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Social media, as in internet forums,....or join Escapees BOF or Family Motor Coach Association. There's plenty of events there, where you meet real people.
Today is the last day of the year, time's a'wasten...

Ya know I've looked into those but it seems to me like these are way more useful for retired / full-timers rather than for weekend warriors like the wife & I am.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the resistance to socializing is isolated to just RV'ng. On my entire block where I live only two other people besides me are ever out and talking. Everybody else just parks and goes straight indoors.

I'm a social person and like to talk to strangers. But many times people, even when outside the camper really don't want to talk.

So if I see you outside I might say hi as I walk by. If I see you again then I might stop at the road and say a few words to gauge if you really want to talk.

Here's something you can try when camping. Instead of just sitting at the table or in a chair by the RV, move your chair closer to the road. I'll bet that gets you more people stopping to talk. To me that seems to be a universal indicator that you are willing to talk.

* This post was edited 12/31/19 02:20pm by opnspaces *

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

Maybe they don't want to be bothered by people trying to chat them up.

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Started noticing that'syndrome' about 10 years ago as DW and I were hiking on a well traveled trail in Glacier NP. Most would turn their heads or just look straight ahead as we passed as if we didn't exist. Mentioned it to my wife and she began to pay attention to it. In campgrounds, it became more prevalent since then. We recently spent 10 days in a campground with the same neighbors during that time. The only folks we talked to were the campground owners during that time. Even close encounters with other campers failed to elicit any response other than a quick 'hello' usually followed by a hurried departure. Began to think it was me.........nah! [emoticon]

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Now you get either "that deer in the headlight look" or the facial expression of "what the heck are you waving at me for"? It also carries over to being on the road.

This is 100% the opposite of our experience. We wave and almost always get waves back.

I'm not good at talking to strangers so I won't instigate a discussion unless you have something specific that I have questions about.

I'm OK with talking back if someone else talks to me.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have problems finding people to talk to. Maybe it's you, lol

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I never have problems finding people to talk to. Maybe it's you, lol

You know the reason I started this thread is b/c I was starting to wonder if it wasn't me (& the Mrs). Never had an issue for years before (neither did she) & judging from a # of the responses here it seems it might not just be me (&/or the Mrs). [emoticon]

Used to be if you were hanging outside with a beer/drink, bbq'ing etc, nearby people would see that as an opportunity to interact some.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our experience, it depends a lot on where you're staying. In nature settings (state and national parks, etc.), people are there for recreation and tend to be more relaxed and interactive. We stay in Escapees parks and military campgrounds as much as possible. Both of those are community situations and we find people very friendly and conversational. We have a number of friends we've made in these situations that we've ended up staying in contact with - and even meeting up with - over time.

We are spending a couple of months this winter in a privately-owned park in southern New Mexico. Some of the people in the park are still working and live in RVs because it's convenient or because they have too. Those people generally don't have time or aren't inclined to socialize. Another contingent in the park are the retired snow-birders. They, like us, tend to enjoy talking with each other and we frequently engage with or are engaged by them when we're out and about in the park.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
2020 Solitude 310GK-R on order (with MORryde IS)
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.