RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Thinking of replacing ASME propane tank

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking of replacing ASME propane tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a 1997 Xplorer 230XL since 2000 and will keep it as long as I can drive. The ASME tank is mounted underneath the passenger side. I scrape and paint it every year or two, but I am worried that it is not enough and it would be good to replace it. I have not found any place that does that. Any ideas? I live just north east of Detroit.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked with a propane dealer?

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An ASME tank is made of thick steel. Unless it’s never been touched since it was made I highly doubt there been anything but some surface rust and peeling paint, certainly not enough to be of ANY concern.

What would be concerning is how much you’d pay to change that tank. LOL.

A typical tank of the size found in motorhomes is well over $1,000 for just the tank, if you’re replacing the tank you can be sure the nice man who has to certify the install is going to want a bunch of other parts changed too. Then there’s the labour on top.

An acquaintance of mine who’s kid is big into snowmobile racing added an ASME tank and a heater to their enclosed trailer. The bill was north of $3k by the time they were done.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A common 29.3 gallon (~100 lb) ASME propane tank is less than $400 at Home Depot. They're usually just bolted in and usually not particularly difficult to change. I've replace a couple for folks over the years, both due to accident damage. As said, as long as it's just surface rust, wire brushing/scraping along with a repaint is all that's needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it is like this tank, 7.9 gallon:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/6814-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-ASME-Permanent-Mount-Tank_p_34213.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2_2M1cni5gIVh4bACh2MCgD9EAQYASABEgIs4fD_BwE

I cannot reach the top 1/3 to scrape and paint as it is blocked by the bottom of the van. It has never had the info plate. I did replace the in tank gauge about 10 years ago. Last year I had a problem trying it in freezing weather before heading to Florida. Gas started leaking from the on/off valve. I forget what I did but that got resolved. This tank is now 23 years old and exposed to everything under the van.

* This post was edited 01/01/20 07:51am by steveh27 *

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be more concerned about the condition of the gasoline tank than the propane tank. The propane tank is MUCH heavier metal.

That being said, I would not worry about either one.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to scrape and paint the tank every year or so, there is a whole lot more under the RV to be concern with besides the tank. Are you doing this as preventive maintenance just because or is the tank actually showing signs of peeling paint and rust?

My RV is over 25 years old and it only got a surface cleaning and repainting. The paint was the AeroSpray, which is a two part epoxy spray paint over epoxy primer. But if you want a cheaper way, just do a surface sanding and cover with Rustoleum's appliance spray epoxy paint.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the OP lives north of Detroit, one cannot compare rust damage to those that live in the desert SW. If the RV was driven on salted MI roads it is surprising that it still exists.

I would pull the tank then have it cleaned and inspected, if it is still serviceable then paint it properly.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Since the OP lives north of Detroit, one cannot compare rust damage to those that live in the desert SW. If the RV was driven on salted MI roads it is surprising that it still exists.

I would pull the tank then have it cleaned and inspected, if it is still serviceable then paint it properly.

You are aware that RV's are mobile and one located in a snowbelt area could spend most of it's time in the south while an RV in the SW desert can easily travel to snow areas.

I stand by my opinion that if they have to scrape and paint their tank every year or so, they have a much bigger problem on their hand. The tank is normally well coated from the factory unlike many other parts located under the RV. If the tank has been rusting out so often it needs that type of maintenance, think about what all the uncoated metal parts under that RV looks like.

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Lynnmor.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking of replacing ASME propane tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.