RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Glacier 2020 vanished

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier 2020 vanished

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gosh, agesilaus and schlep1967, I guess Nasa is faking data?

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resourc........c-the-relentless-rise-of-carbon-dioxide/

[image]

The high for co2 was 415.70 ppm on May 15, 2019

* This post was edited 01/02/20 09:53am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My observation is this, parts of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado have been under the sea several times. Take a drive up Rt 141 through the Unaweep canyon and visit Colorado National Monument for a great geological lesson. You can see the white bands of rock that were the sea floor. They currently sit around 4,500 feet above sea level. We didn't cause that. The earth has never stopped changing and no organism that was here when it started is still here in the same form. "
----------------------------------------
We've been down that canyon but went south around. Very scenic after a rain storm with many waterfalls. I really recommend McPhee's Annals of an Ancient World

He starts on I80 at the eastern end and in a series of books follows it all the way west, each book includes a different geologist who reveals how that section of the country came to be in it's present state. All of the books are included in the above volume. Basin and Range for the mountains of Nevada and Assembling California for how that state came to be.

McPhee is an excellent writer who does all this in very readable language for the average reader. And the geologists he links up to are all field geologists and fascinating people.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Gosh, agesilaus and schlep1967, I guess Nasa is faking data?

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resourc........c-the-relentless-rise-of-carbon-dioxide/

[image]

The high for co2 was 415.70 ppm on May 15, 2019

I wouldn't say they are faking data. That is the data they have today. But like I said above, is ice forming to trap air bubbles with that data in today? If it is, and it gets measured again in 100,000 years, will it still look the same? Or will some of it dissipate out of the ice so it looks just like all the other peaks that seem to happen at semi-regular intervals? That chart shows 800,000 years of data. That was 25 million years after the start of the last ice age. For perspective dinosaurs disappeared about 60 million years ago. They have no data that matches the current stage we are in, essentially leaving the current ice age, to compare to.
Is the earth warming? Yes. It should be expected to. The earth is about 4.6 billion years old. There have only been 5 confirmed ice ages in that time. We are currently leaving an ice age. Common sense should tell us it will continue to warm up for millions of years. If you live on the coast, write a note to your great grand children. Tell them to tell their great grand children not to buy property below 100 feet above sea level. Because at that point, it will really only be 95 feet above sea level.

Yea, the ocean is rising that slow.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang schlep, you just took away all of my incentive to screech and wail, gnash my teeth, and wag my finger at everyone, while scaring the **** out of children to the point where they believe there is just no hope for them. Not their grandkids, THEM. In THEIR lifetime. Everyone wants to be a prophet of doom. It’s become a death cult.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/02/20 12:37pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang schlep, you just took away all of my incentive to screech and wail, gnash my teeth, and wag my finger at everyone, while scaring the **** out of children to the point where they believe there is just no hope for them

LOL! Just read an article that there are actually some kids who have to take tranquilizers to deal with climate change.

Keep in mind there are still glaciers that are advancing in areas such as Greenland, New Zealand, Alaska (Hubbard Glacier), and Norway. Just sayin'.

* This post was edited 01/02/20 11:02am by Crowe *

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Dang schlep, you just took away all of my incentive to screech and wail, gnash my teeth, and wag my finger at everyone, while scaring the **** out of children to the point where they believe there is just no hope for them. Everyone wants to be a prophet or doom. It’s become a death cult.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Remember sensationalism sells.

The "experts" predicted Miami would be several feet under water by now.....
The mega cruise ships are still going in and out of the port and the docks are still sitting at the same level they were when that prediction was made.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do provide a link that says the glaciers in those areas are increasing in mass.

"It’s melting and it’s not coming back. That’s something we often hear about our shifting climate and the ice that, in a sense, holds it together. Throughout the Arctic, glaciers are shrinking, right?

Maybe not quite the way we think.

NASA's Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) project has revealed Greenland’s Jakobshavn Glacier, the island’s biggest, is actually growing, at least at its edge. In research published Monday in Nature Geoscience, researchers report that since 2016, Jakobshavn’s ice has thickened slightly, thanks to relatively cool ocean waters at its base—which have caused the glacier to slow down its melt. This reverses the glacier’s 20-year trend of thinning and retreating. But because of what else is happening on the ice sheet, and the overall climate outlook, that’s not necessarily a good thing for global sea level.

That's because, despite the fact that this particular glacier is growing, the whole Greenland ice sheet is still losing lots and lots of ice. Jakobshavn drains only about seven percent of the entire ice sheet, so even if it were growing robustly, mass loss from the rest of the ice sheet would outweigh its slight expansion."

Crowe wrote:

Keep in mind there are still glaciers that are advancing in areas such as Greenland, New Zealand, Alaska (Hubbard Glacier), and Norway. Just sayin'.

* This post was edited 01/02/20 12:40pm by pianotuna *

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give me a call when you get China on board with your Green New Deal.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Dang schlep, you just took away all of my incentive to screech and wail, gnash my teeth, and wag my finger at everyone, while scaring the **** out of children to the point where they believe there is just no hope for them. Everyone wants to be a prophet or doom. It’s become a death cult.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Remember sensationalism sells.

The "experts" predicted Miami would be several feet under water by now.....
The mega cruise ships are still going in and out of the port and the docks are still sitting at the same level they were when that prediction was made.

I believe the sea level has been increasing 1.8 mm/yr or about 1/8th in/yr. So 80 years = 10 inches assuming that the ground level isn't changing too which it is in many parts of the world.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently leaving an ice age. Common sense should tell us it will continue to warm up for millions of years. If you live on the coast, write a note to your great grand children. Tell them to tell their great grand children not to buy property below 100 feet above sea level. Because at that point, it will really only be 95 feet above sea level.
----------------------------------------------
I don't think there is any reason to assume that we are out of the ice age cycle, we are in an interglacial period and there is some reason to think that we maybe in a slow drop to a new glacial period. The 5 ice ages you refer to were broken down into many glacial/interglacial periods and lasted millions of years.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier 2020 vanished
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.