|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of you that are over the weight rating on your tires have had a blowout due to being over weight?

I see a lot of people always recommending going with 18", 19.5" or 20 inch rims.

So how many of you have actually experienced tire failure while traveling?

Not "someone you know" but you.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me. Not recently though thank goodness.

Many years ago before Algore invented the internet, I bought a 1984 F250 (with the 6.9L diesel [emoticon] ) to haul my first truck camper, a Jayco 9.5’ hard side (not pop up). I bought the truck used, and the previous owner had replaced the OEM tires and wheels with some chrome spoke eye-candy and tires that probably weren’t even LT. I didn’t know any better, but after having two wheels crack, and a few tire treads thrown off, I realized something was amiss.

Fortunately, the worst that happened was just damage to the truck. I replaced them with OEM steel wheels and LT tires, and never had another problem.

I won’t knowingly overload a tire or wheel today.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have and I never have blown an axle being over the rated capacity either(in the old days)..Infact,in over 50 years of RVing,I have only had one blowout and that was on a travel trailer..

Anyone who knows anything about trucking knows tire condition is your life!

But others say different...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me on I5 in the central Valley passing a semi at 65. I was running Toyo Open Country tires 285/75R16 rated at 3750 I was right at the tire rating and I had a belt separation. The left rear tire shredded almost instantly. I fought for control to keep from rolling and to get to the shoulder safely. I upgraded to 19.5s after that just for the peace of mind. rig was a 2003 F350 CC SRW Longbed 4x4 carrying a Lance 1055

[image]

* This post was edited 01/02/20 07:22am by Buzzcut1 *

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn’t overweight when a rear TC tire blew on my first RV. Was very lucky. To increase the likelihood of a blowout by being overweight is not prudent, bordering on foolish IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Me on I5 in the central Valley passing a semi at 65. I was running Toyo Open Country tires 285/75R16 rated at 3750 I was right at the tire rating and I had a belt separation. The left rear tire shredded almost instantly. I fought for control to keep from rolling and to get to the shoulder safely. I upgraded to 19.5s after that just for the peace of mind. rig was a 2003 F350 CC SRW Longbed 4x4 carrying a Lance 1055

[image]

I had exact separation while driving empty on my F250, but that was "famous" Firestone tires who had whole list of recalls.
If you study the tires - they can easy take 3 times the rated load when rolling.
What kills them is combination of heat and load.
Heavy load with low pressure makes tires flex more than manufacturer design, what generate more heat and heat deteriorates the rubber.
Speed is accelerating factor.
My trucks were used in construction and very often rear tires were overloaded by 20%. But that was on +- 10 miles drives at 50 mph. Never had blown tire is that use.
Remember old El Caminos? I had garbage scale receipt showing 2100 lb cargo on it. Car tires, but El Caminos had factory air-adjustable shocks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't comment about blowouts, don't want to jynx myself, so read into that, but I reccomend 18s or 20s becasue they don't make heavy duty tires for 17s anymore.
And based on ratings, OE wheels and tires generally are the weakest link on the vehicle for heavy loads.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at a different angle . Have not had a blowout yet in 60 years of driving ( knock on wood ), BUT , I have also not been overloaded . I did have a rear dually wheel crack around the hub , took out the hub with it . Of course you can also have a blowout for other reasons than being overloaded .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All else being equal bigger diameter wheels with same overall tire diameter means shorter/stronger sidewall. Also, the highest rated tires seem to be 18s in conventional type. Obviously, 19.5s are a completely different animal that won’t air down and are stiff riding all of the time.

I’ve never blown out on a truck, but did on my Class A. It did quite a lot of damage. I didn’t remember the air pressure, so I’m guessing it was lower than it should have been. I can’t say for sure.

On my SRW, I updated to 19.5s just in case. I didn’t feel like I wanted to wait until a blowout to change the tires. I felt good about the safety margin. As I’ve noted, I would have gone with higher rated 18s if I had know about them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so I have blown 3 ST tires. None of them were overloaded, and none of them were underinflated. However ALL of them were starting their 4th year of service. so guess what. Due to my experience. 3 / three years is the limit of time I will run ST tires.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.