|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had trailer tire blow outs like the the above but never had vehicle tire blow out. I did destroy a tire at high speeds due to a valve stem failure on the autobahn...

My F250 had 18" wheels and I upgraded to 19.5's soon after getting real world loaded vehicle weights. I was able to keep within tire limits, but I did not not want to be so close that I had to worry about what I brought with me and where I packed it.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Me on I5 in the central Valley passing a semi at 65. I was running Toyo Open Country tires 285/75R16 rated at 3750 I was right at the tire rating and I had a belt separation. The left rear tire shredded almost instantly. I fought for control to keep from rolling and to get to the shoulder safely. I upgraded to 19.5s after that just for the peace of mind. rig was a 2003 F350 CC SRW Longbed 4x4 carrying a Lance 1055

[image]

Do you think it was a weight problem or just a bad tire?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No good tire will make a gator, ever.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

so I have blown 3 ST tires. None of them were overloaded, and none of them were underinflated. However ALL of them were starting their 4th year of service. so guess what. Due to my experience. 3 / three years is the limit of time I will run ST tires.

Maxxis?? Just curious.

I know they had issues with their ST tires a few years back.

They say they should be good for 6 years but I'm sure that's in ideal conditions.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Me on I5 in the central Valley passing a semi at 65. I was running Toyo Open Country tires 285/75R16 rated at 3750 I was right at the tire rating and I had a belt separation. The left rear tire shredded almost instantly. I fought for control to keep from rolling and to get to the shoulder safely. I upgraded to 19.5s after that just for the peace of mind. rig was a 2003 F350 CC SRW Longbed 4x4 carrying a Lance 1055

[image]

Do you think it was a weight problem or just a bad tire?

I was running right at the weight limit. And Toyo was having belt separation issues. I swore off Toyo after they refused to cover my tire and body damage under the recall that had been issued. That said I will never run tires near their weight limit again. Not worth the risk.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

so I have blown 3 ST tires. None of them were overloaded, and none of them were underinflated. However ALL of them were starting their 4th year of service. so guess what. Due to my experience. 3 / three years is the limit of time I will run ST tires.

Maxxis?? Just curious.

I know they had issues with their ST tires a few years back.

They say they should be good for 6 years but I'm sure that's in ideal conditions.

Actually the first one was a Goodyear Marathon. The next two were I believe Tow Masters. I have Maxxis on it now. And replaced the G/Ys with Maxxis on the other TT. no problems with them, either on the last TT, or this one. These will be 4 years old this summer. They are coming off.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being overloaded and a tire blowing does not prove a tire blowing from being overloaded.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaker wrote:

Being overloaded and a tire blowing does not prove a tire blowing from being overloaded.

No but sure seems a likely place to start looking for a reason

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

How many of you that are over the weight rating on your tires have had a blowout due to being over weight?

I see a lot of people always recommending going with 18", 19.5" or 20 inch rims.

So how many of you have actually experienced tire failure while traveling?

Not "someone you know" but you.

Lots of people can’t read...

There are two kinds of TC’ers; those who have had a tire failure and those who will.
(Maybe three kinds; those who never leave their keyboards...)

Buzzcuts was one of the more traumatic ones we have seen over the years. Fortunately he had he training to help him steer out of it.

I have had two tire failures when loaded with TC.
One I am pretty sure was due to overloading and I suspect the bead broke.
Second one was tire defect (Nitto reimbursed me for the tire).

Both resulted in leakage and not traumatic failure. I was fortunate enough both times to realize something didn’t feel right and pull over quickly. I have since added TPMS to my truck (older truck) and this does give me a measure of confidence as I can observe pressure/temps.
These incidents have really made me consider the next truck may be a dually (see my recent dually thread...).

Be safe,
Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a blow out on I-25 in Wyoming about 1983. A passing car pointed to my rear tire. I didn't know the tire had blown. I had a 1980 light duty F250 with straight 6 cylinder 300 cu in., unkown capacities. Four speed manual with granny gear. I was packing a Tejas 8ft cabover of unknown weight. 7.50X16 bias ply tires. Pulled the spare out and replaced. Bought a new tire somewhere, either Wheatland or Cheyenne. No, it wasnt Wheatland, thats where I had the exhaust manifold doughnut replaced and talked to the hot city girl that moved on a ranch. Seems I had a flat on the way back south too, that was repaired at a tire shop at quitting time. A 12 pack of Coors helped.
I had another blowout in 1967 in my Moms 1965 Impala trying to see how fast that 327 would push it.
Why?
edit add: I'm seeing a pattern here. Abuse your tires and pay your dues.

* This post was edited 01/02/20 07:04pm by TxGearhead *

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.