|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There are two kinds of TC’ers; those who have had a tire failure and those who will.

I don't believe that at all..I have been running truck campers for 54 years and haven't had one yet..Could I,sure but following the way I choose truck tires and treat them,I haven't yet..

PS..I never had a blow out on my Semi's(Tractor only) either.Always new tires on the front,once they wore even slightly they went to the rear of the tractor,then the trailer..Truckers are known to abuse there tires and cheap out on replacing them,that's why you see/saw so many tire pieces laying allover the road..Owner operators not so much!

TxGearhead wrote:

I'm seeing a pattern here. Abuse your tires and pay your dues.

This 100%..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't sound much of a problem as people say but then just a few have posted.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

PS..I never had a blow out on my Semi's(Tractor only) either.Always new tires on the front,once they wore even slightly they went to the rear of the tractor,then the trailer..

All the big trucks I've driven had "steer tires" on the front. Our Freightliners came with them all the way around.

I've never seen rear tires on the front, only steer tires.

Maybe things have changed over the years.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It don't matter much with logging trucks..As long as there the same size and close enough in tread design..The trailer can have about anything on it..Usually where all the worn tractor tires go..

Steer/front tires seem to wear out faster than drive tires..We really did not use the term steer/drive for tires..I suppose if the semi was used for nothing but highway miles,a special tire might be in order but for mostly off road,traction is the key for logging trucks..I used to chain a front tire all the time when needed..

In the winter months I often put the sleeper on and got out the flatbed and hauled lumber and grain to stay busy..The log truck tires were never an issue,infact they were a plus on Idaho's winter roads.

I sold my last logging truck 20 years ago so things may have changed since in tire language..LOL

The key to this thread and blowouts is "speed" IMHO...To fast with heavy loads near max capacity..

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't know you were talking about logging trucks.

80 mph is as fast as I've ever driven with the camper on my truck and its just for a short distance passing another vehicle.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I didn't know you were talking about logging trucks.

80 mph is as fast as I've ever driven with the camper on my truck and its just for a short distance passing another vehicle.

I would have said that same thing before November when I drove from California to Kentucky and back. 4 days each way averaging between 75 and 80 mph the entire way. Of Course I had 6 brand new tires on the dually...

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Of Course I had 6 brand new tires on the dually

That's the key IMHO,tire condition..If I had a SRW with a TC with near max tire capacity,I would treat them as truckers do front tires..Any sign of wear and replace/rotate etc.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

I would have said that same thing before November when I drove from California to Kentucky and back. 4 days each way averaging between 75 and 80 mph the entire way. Of Course I had 6 brand new tires on the dually...

I am pushing my weight limit so I have to restrain myself. LOL

I generally set my cruise at 70 mph. That's where I get the best gas mileage.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I generally set my cruise at 70 mph. That's where I get the best gas mileage.

That makes me thinking how realistic you are.
Trucks usually get best mpg in 45-55 mph range.
Each time I drive my dually on 45 highway, or even on 35 mph city streets, my mpg goes into 30's.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your signature says you average 12 mpg [emoticon]

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.