RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
fintip

asheville

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Title pretty much says it. I just jumped in head first and bought a travel trailer, and now I need to swap my car for a truck to tow it.

My trailer is a '58 16ft 2640lb unit. Big non-aerodynamic front, unfortunately. No trailer brakes yet, but installing them will be one of my first projects (though I do have to bring it 700 miles back without them installed first).

[image]

I plan to live in it. At least for the first few months, I won't have to move it around. Ideally, in the near future, I'd like to not be moving it around too much, but I don't want to be afraid of driving it if I need to as much as I need to.

At the same time, I would like to not have terrible mpg while living in the parked Travel trailer/TT and driving the Towing vehicle/TV around.

In other words, having two separate vehicles isn't an option for me, need a towing vehicle that can be a reasonable daily driver.

Finally, I need it cheap.

So:
1. Can tow 2640lbs + stuff inside comfortably
2. Can get decent MPG when not towing
3. Is reliable
4. Is Cheap

Seems like an impossible list, but since I don't need to find the truck attractive, I've realized I do have what seems like a pretty good candidate:

A late 90's -> early 2000's Ford Ranger / Mazda B 4000 (4.0L with towing package).

[image]

I've read what I could find on google about towing travel trailers with these trucks, and I think it seems reasonable. They're rated for 6500lbs towing, get 21mpg highway, go for pretty cheap pretty often, and are reliable. Plenty of them come with a tow hitch receiver installed, and if I'm lucky I'll even get an extended cab. It's enough that after all the research and all the models, this is the one I've decided to create an account here and ask for advice about, and finally feel like I can get the ideal compromise.

Any thoughts? Any alternative recommended vehicle?

In theory I would prefer an SUV, and was originally keen on the idea of an '05 hyundai santa fe, but I think they just won't cut it long-term... transmission, and being underpowered while towing, and at the edge of its towing limit. Most of the SUV's are more expensive, too, and not really built for towing (underpowered, not great transmissions), and will require the installation of a hitch receiver. I did see a 2002 Nissan Xterra, high miles but well maintained and with a replaced transmission, and those are said to be rated for 5k lbs towing, but everyone said they felt underpowered while towing, and the mpg is significantly worse (similar to an F150).

Would love some advice. Thanks.

* This post was edited 01/04/20 09:03am by an administrator/moderator *

fintip

asheville

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option... maybe an 05 chevy trailblazer with towing package?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it!

Seems adequate for your trailer with poundage to spare.

Love the window jalousies in your trailer. Feels like home -- in Hawaii.

Warning: don't let anyone scare you silly to make you over-truck to buy that huge Ram.

* This post was edited 01/03/20 05:59pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your millage will be considerably less while towing.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You forgot to post the interior pictures of your TT. [emoticon]

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a beautiful TT!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would claustrophobia trying to full time in a 26' trailer especially in winter but that's just me. YMMV. The Ranger should have adequate capacity to tow something like that as long as you don't expect 40 mpg at 70 mph through the mountains. Maybe an Explorer would better suit your needs

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 4.0 Ranger with an automatic and 3.73 gears should handle that trailer adequately, although a little slow by today's standards. As a point of reference I used to tow a 21' ultralight (3100 lbs dry, 4000 lbs road-ready) with a 1994 Aerostar with the 4.0/3.73. It maintained 60-65 mph easily on the freeway, pulled passes at 45-50 and averaged about 12-13 mpg towing a heavier but a little more aerodynamic trailer. I would expect similar results in your situation. The only caveat is that I wouldn't want to tow long distance with no trailer brakes.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I hope you are not going downhill on a 6% grade highway without the trailer brakes.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived alone in a 24' tt for two months one time while my DW was selling our house in another state and I had to start a new job. I was very comfortable and could have gone on that way that way much longer.
I think your plan is very doable.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.