RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Even the OP Fin has posted "Just wanted to add, I found out the manual xterra does have a lower tow rating, it's 3500 for the standard and 5k for the automatic."

That is direct from the manufacturer that they have and do derate a manual over automatics.

Ford has done this also, can't say for sure GM or Ram but most likely they have derated for manual.

When faced between a manual with LESS capacity and a auto with MORE capacity for nearly the same price, the HIGHER CAPACITY of the automatic trumps the lower capacity of the hand shaker..

They HAVE a reason to derate manuals so, otherwise they WOULD be rating manual transmissions the same OR HIGHER capacity over automatics if a manual transmission was superior..

Come on, it IS time to move from technology designed back in the 1920s (manual transmissions and manual clutch)..

The standard manual transmission train has left the station 10-15 yrs ago and it is never coming back. This really should not be a conversation but I get it, the stick huggers have a hard time making a change and playing taps for their old friend.

I do agree with you that most/alot/all manual trans vehicles are derated compared to the same vehicle as an auto trans. Not sure where that means they're not capable to do a job that they're rated for.
I got one in my shop right now, that fits that bill, but at 175k miles and with the clutch I put in it, it handles an extra 300+ ft lbs of torque over stock and is stone reliable. But the junk factory clutch exited the vehicle at abut 40k miles.

I'm not hanging on to the past, he!!, I'm in my mid 40s and the first "nice" truck I had was a 1990 model and it was a 5 speed and the current truck is a handshaker as well, with a couple other handshakers in between and a bunch of autos.
Regardless, in the context of the OP's search and budget, the best vehicle, regardless of what the trans identifies as is the best vehicle.
You'd have to understand what goes into every rating to know if the trans truly has less capacity and if it's the reason for the rating.

From a cost and simplicity standpoint, the manual still wins in the long run. You can replace the clutch for anywhere from $118 to $550 for a very high performance model with a set of hand tools and a floor jack.
What's it cost to rebuild an auto trans and who knows how to do that in their backyard?

Again, I'm not bagging on auto transmissions, but it's evident some folks love their opinions and theirs only.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would skip the Ranger. I had 3 of them. I loved the 2wd 5 speed 4cyl truck I had. It was the best truck I ever owned.

My 4.0’s were junk. Overheating, sloppy shifting(slush-o-matic), transmission breaking (manual) ugh.

I would lean more towards a Tacoma, Frontier, S10 with a V6 and a 5 speed manual.

BTW.. the 4.0 rangers get worse fuel economy than my 2011 Tahoe. Just as a frame of reference.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerem, while I respect and agree with your post, it must be false.
Because gdetrailer swears auto transmissions are better than both beer in a can and sliced bread together!

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Jerem, while I respect and agree with your post, it must be false.
Because gdetrailer swears auto transmissions are better than both beer in a can and sliced bread together!

Whew, I may need to change my opinion. I Mean, better than canned beer AND sliced bread!

Ha ha ha ha!

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beer is liquid bread, therefore eating some beef jerky with a beer before and after is like a sandwich.... perfectly acceptable lunch right?

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing a 2640lb 16ft TT with a Ford Ranger 4.0L?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.