RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

So I'm going to fly in opposition to some of the posts on here. I never, as in never, use any kind of holding tank treatment in my tanks. Been doing it this way for 14 years and don't have smell issues. I have also let my blank tank sit with stuff in it for the entire summer and it was no better or worse than dumping after a weekend of use. If there is more than a few gallons of water in your tank you will be fine. Where the problem comes in is when people don't use enough water when flushing and the poop just drops and piles under the toilet.

Since you're not going to be moving the trailer you won't have the benefit of water sloshing around and breaking up the pile and floating it away. So you're probably going to have to add enough water to the tanks after dumping that the poop can be float away.

Two other thoughts that popped into my mind when reading the replies above.

I think you misunderstood the cassette potty suggestion. Most of the popup tent trailers with bathrooms use a cassette potty. At the end of the weekend you pull the cassette out from under the toilet and carry it off to empty it into a toilet. The cassette automatically seals as you pull it out so aside from the actual minute you're pouring it into a toilet there is no mess or smell. Just pull the cassette at the end of the weekend and put it in the back of the truck and empty it at home. Just don't forget to bring the cassette back to the trailer when you come back the next weekend. If I had to make a choice between a 5 gallon cassette or a 20 gallon blue boy tote in the back of the truck. I would go with the cassette any day of the week.

Not to get into the legalities of the homemade septic idea, but you mentioned the nearest well is 4 miles away. You also mention filling the tank with lake water. You do realize the restrictions on septic placement and such are based on distances from water sources, not just wells. Hopefully the lake is uphill from or at least a good distance from all the home grown septic systems around it.

We've used a cassette toilet in the past. They tend to fill up pretty fast.
We're about thirty yards from the lake but as I said it's pretty much all sand which is a great filter.
There isnt that many people on this lease and very few have septic.
If I had to guess I'd say there's no more than ten camps on the 6k acres.

As far as the water in the lakes goes they're all crystal clear with a continuous flow of spring water and full of fish and gators.

I'd say there's far more deer scat in the water than anything else.

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing.
The place is crawling with wild hogs,coyotes,deer,and even a few black bears and cougars.
The hogs make their wallows right on the edge of the water and poop and pee right on the water's edge.

A buried system has nothing on the hogs.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we do not fill the tank before dumping, we do dump before leaving the park. No sense hauling all that extra weight and **** around.

When we dump the tank, I usually flush about a 5 gallon bucket of clear water down the stool.

When the water runs clear through the clear plastic elbow at the dump slinky hose, we are good to go.

You can develop any method that works for you. Most people do. If you screw up once, chances are you will not make the same mistake again.

Good luck

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxerDogs wrote:

Another thing.
The place is crawling with wild hogs,coyotes,deer,and even a few black bears and cougars.
The hogs make their wallows right on the edge of the water and poop and pee right on the water's edge.

We had these type of systems all over one the lake areas in Florida. Nary a problem. The critters left more deposits than the humans, at least before a blue jillion people moved in.
I have the same type of thing at my house in the NC mountains, only on a larger scale. Big plastic tank connected to a drain field. Sure ain’t rocket science.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

BoxerDogs wrote:

Another thing.

We had these type of systems all over one the lake areas in Florida. Nary a problem. The critters left more deposits than the humans, at least before a blue jillion people moved in.
I have the same type of thing at my house in the NC mountains, only on a larger scale. Big plastic tank connected to a drain field. Sure ain’t rocket science.

Thats my take on it.
It's the same as a septic system on a smaller scale.
And the owners of the property dont have a problem with it.

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

While we do not fill the tank before dumping, we do dump before leaving the park. No sense hauling all that extra weight and **** around.

When we dump the tank, I usually flush about a 5 gallon bucket of clear water down the stool.

When the water runs clear through the clear plastic elbow at the dump slinky hose, we are good to go.

You can develop any method that works for you. Most people do. If you screw up once, chances are you will not make the same mistake again.

Good luck

Once we get the redneck septic hooked up it'll be easy enough to empty after every stay.
Like you said,if it's not full enough to properly drain I'll dump five or ten gallons of lake water down the john and pump it out with the macerator.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be afraid of rat infestation if this rig is left for long in Texas. I hunt there and it is amazing how quickly rats infest anything and everything

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

I would be afraid of rat infestation if this rig is left for long in Texas. I hunt there and it is amazing how quickly rats infest anything and everything

My friend and neighbor a couple of hundred yards away leave their fifth wheel out there and they've had zero problems with rodents.
We have plenty of bobcats and other predators to keep em in check.
If not there's always rat poison.
The biggest problem out there is wasp nests,coons and possums.
You definitely dont leave anything out you dont want to get eaten.

It cracks me up!!! When we come back from a fishing trip and fire up the electric fillet knife it's like a dinner bell to the smaller gators.
You wont be done with your second fish and there they are waiting for a handout.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.