RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Keystone Montana for fulltiming??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone Montana for fulltiming??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" That is going to put a lot more stress on the tires, running gear and frame. For that kind of use the MORryde Independent Suspension System (IS) stands up much better than a leaf spring suspension."

I HIGHLY advise the MORryde IS suspension, anything else running FullTime will not hold up!!!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" That is going to put a lot more stress on the tires, running gear and frame. For that kind of use the MORryde Independent Suspension System (IS) stands up much better than a leaf spring suspension."

I HIGHLY advise the MORryde IS suspension, anything else running FullTime will not hold up!!!

[image]

Thats a rather bold statement , had friends over yesterday, planning our Alaska trip starting in late May. They have been full timing now for 5 years with a 36' Big Country, conventional leaf spring suspension. Waiting to hear back from him on how many miles . They spent the entire summer ,and fall in the northeast this past year. They have traveled all over this country.

Although I don't full time , I have a 12 year old Montana fifth wheel , that has a lot of miles on it. Only thing I have done to the suspension is replace the shear springs on the MorRyde LRE suspension, which is a wear item. Plus added the wet bolt kit early on . Still the stock leaf springs.

Its going to get a few miles on it starting in mid Feb. to Arizona, and that state is pretty rough on suspension, pretty crappy roads , its been down there pretty much every year since new. Also it will get a pretty good workout on the Alaska trip , minimum of around 10K miles.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a Keystone. But, last January I chatted with the online customer service about using mobile RV techs vs. taking the rig to a dealer. They said it was dealers or nothing for warranty service.

That's a non-starter for me.

Quote:

[12:28:52 PM] System: To better serve you, please provide us the Vehicle Identification (VIN) Number.

[12:30:02 PM] System: Welcome to our live chat!

[12:30:02 PM] System: I am here to provide live assistance. How may I help you?

[12:30:02 PM] Me: Hi there. I'm considering a Keystone as an upcoming purchase. I wanted to find out what your warranty process is like if I need a mobile RV tech to come out or if I go to an RV service center?

[12:31:21 PM] Jeannene: We require all warranty concerns to be addressed at an authorized dealer after reporting any concerns to Keystone. In emergency situations, we can assist you if a mobile technician is needed

[12:31:50 PM] Me: So I can't start at a local RV service center that I've used before?

[12:32:25 PM] Jeannene: Onl;y if they are one of our authorized dealers

[12:33:05 PM] Me: No, they're independent and don't actually sell RVs. I find their scheduling and turnaround time to be much better than most dealers I've worked with (3-4 now). Hmm, ok.

[12:33:12 PM] Me: Thanks for the information.

[12:33:19 PM] Jeannene: you're welcome!

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

keh3491

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a dietitian and my husband is a nurse. We are traveling, doing contract that are usually 3 months at a time. Right now we stay in air b&b’s usually but it’s so hard packing up and moving that often and it gets very expensive. Our poor pets get so stressed when we keep uprooting them. So, this is why we are going to get the 5th wheel. We have borrowed the in-laws trailer before and got a little idea of what it’s like. Because we have been on the road for about 6 months now we have already down sized considerably and just rent a uhaul when we move. My husband drives an F250 so we know what we can pull. We are a little worried that the Montana may be a little heavy.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think they are probably going to live in it full-time, not drive it around full-time.

keh3491 wrote:

I am a dietitian and my husband is a nurse. We are traveling, doing contract that are usually 3 months at a time.

My husband drives an F250 so we know what we can pull. We are a little worried that the Montana may be a little heavy.

Your husband is right about that. I won't say it can't be done, but it is more than an F250 is designed for. At a minimum, plan for some upgrades to your truck, if a new one isn't in the budget.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

keh3491

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the F250 can pull 15,900 lbs.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keh3491 wrote:

All 250s are not the same. You need to state year, gas or diesel, tire rating, any suspension enhancement (springs/airbags,etc). A beefed up 250 would be at upper limit at that wt.

Jerry

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keh3491 wrote:

The problem is how much it can carry. A fifth wheel places a heavy load in the bed, so truck payload is the critical factor, including tire rating. Montana's come in many sizes, but none of them are lightweights.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

keh3491 wrote:

All 250s are not the same. You need to state year, gas or diesel, tire rating, any suspension enhancement (springs/airbags,etc). A beefed up 250 would be at upper limit at that wt.

Jerry

[image]

2940 pin per the tell tale website.

14K on the axles, 3K on the pin. What is that famous saying?

"I don't even know it's back there" [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/06/20 02:43pm by GDS-3950BH *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With FW loaded to 16,900, you would likely need a DRW 350, as you would likely be over RAWR/tire rating. The 2940 pin wt per site, would be an unloaded pin wt. Once loaded for full time living, that pin wt will likely be 4K+. Seems you are correct to think what ever 250 you have will not work for that FW.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone Montana for fulltiming??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.