RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Larger 5th wheels in/on state and federal parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Larger 5th wheels in/on state and federal parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you get longer in length there will be more limitations. However I have always found sites to accomodate my rig. I have always had 40' trailers and have always found places to camp. Sure there were sites I could not fit into but there were always others available that I could fit into.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of good comments in this thread regarding the length so I don't have anything to add there. One thing to be aware of is that the larger fivers tend to be very tall which is also something to be very aware of. We have run into a few situations where trees have not been trimmed high enough both on park roads and in sites which can cause a lot of damage if attention is not paid to this.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all my fivers being physically longer than 38', the ONLY place I was gonna have trouble was a state park in Florida. that was due to the HEIGHT, NOT length...

We drove through it the year before we wanted to go and just ended up going somewhere else. We normally do not do the National parks, but the state parks we have been in have had plenty of room to move and park...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recognize your CC38efk is really 41ft long. We stay at a lot of state parks and some national ones. Our last 5er was 34’, and current one is 35ft...that was max length I wanted to go. Our length limits us somewhat, but not significantly. I do carry a pole saw because height can also be an issue. We haven’t traveled much in the NE where I suspect we’d be limited a little more but still doable. 41ft would be well beyond a lot of sites, but if you’re willing to stay at commercial parks I’m sure you can still always find something. If you wand state and national parks I’d look real hard at your need for >40ft.

Regarding trucks, I assume you have a diesel dually 1T for the trailers you’re looking at.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Regarding trucks, I assume you have a diesel dually 1T for the trailers you’re looking at.

Thank you for all the great responses.

WRT truck, we will be purchasing a superduty. diesel yes, dually... still in discussion.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked up the specs on the CC38efk you’re looking at. 41ft 8in, so actually closer to 42ft...see my comments above.

More importantly, it says dry pin weight of 2700lbs, dry weight of 14.4k and gross of 18klbs. Pretty much guarantee you will be over your rear axle weight if you get an SRW.

My VL 320GK has a “dry pin” of 2600, dry weight of 12something, and gross of 16k. Actually loaded it weighs in around 15.5k (extra batteries, stuff, and water). Actual pin weight is 3550. I’m right on the spec’d capacity of my SRW.

For any “mid-high end” 5er like a CC you really need a 1T to stay within weights; and a dually if you’re over ~35ft. Lots travel over their rear axle weights, I won’t recommend it but that’s your call. I’ve seen MANY that started out with an SRW and then weighed their rigs ready for travel and subsequently lost a bunch of money trading in their new SRW for a dually. Make sure you make an informed decision.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

For any “mid-high end” 5er like a CC you really need a 1T to stay within weights; and a dually if you’re over ~35ft. Lots travel over their rear axle weights, I won’t recommend it but that’s your call. I’ve seen MANY that started out with an SRW and then weighed their rigs ready for travel and subsequently lost a bunch of money trading in their new SRW for a dually. Make sure you make an informed decision.

I get it. Told SWMBO, if we go dually, it will be a 450.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yes, anything above 25 ft will be an issue in finding camping spots in state and national parks.

We had a 21 ft before and we have to plan out to get into a campsite that will fit our TT. And even if it says it can fit 25 ft, maneuvering between trees, rocks and very tight park roads is an obstacle.

Commercial RV parks almost always can accommodate you. But you have to compromise as it will be just a tad better than a parking lot.

Very accurate observations and comments. In Calif. state parks have a max of 30'. Whenever possible do a walk through BEFORE pulling your RV into the park and check out the sites they want to put you into. Really check overhead branches that could damage your roof. I carry a small branch clipper just in case I need to cut any branches.
In some fancy RV resorts, there is a minimum length of trailer they will accept[emoticon]. Arizona El Mirage Resort min. length is 28'.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

MNRon wrote:

I get it. Told SWMBO, if we go dually, it will be a 450.

Make sure you get the =right= 450. Some actually have less GVW than the top of the line 350s.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got into a lot of trouble hitting national parks in the Northwest with our 34ft 5th wheel. Save yourself a lot of trouble and headaches by settling with something under 30 ft with a good floor plan you like.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Larger 5th wheels in/on state and federal parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.