|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV repossession question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful, because if the unit is deemed not a legal dwelling unit, my area in NJ would allow the tenant to reclaim any previously paid rent

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a written application and rental agreement? Written agreenemt if legal would be best. Verbal contracts are enforcable but what was said may may be difficult/impossible to establish.

I evicted one person and at every point they filed a counter claim. All were dismissed by the judge but each gave them additional weeks of occupancy. Eventually I got most of the money back by garnishing their wages.

Good points above about a legal dwelling.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take pictures and hopefully you have pictures at the time of rental. You may also have legal requirements to store any possestions left behind.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, this is not so simple. It depends on the arrangement of the trailer. If it's on your land as a living rental it falls under landlord tenant regulations. If you rented them the trailer and they have it on their land, (even if they are living in it), it's a standard property repossession. If you rented them the trailer and it's on their property but you used a rental lease or in the agreement it's a rental living unit, you may have to follow two sets of regulations. I say, lawyer up and let them guide you.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's yours, hook up and take it where you want. Give em 24 he's notice.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple he isn't renting it. You own it. Hook up tow it off and return in your TV with his possessions. Relationship terminated. Any lip call police. Ownership and possession is 100% of the law.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Simple he isn't renting it. You own it. Hook up tow it off and return in your TV with his possessions. Relationship terminated. Any lip call police. Ownership and possession is 100% of the law.

If OP let them change title it's no longer HIS.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, renters have legal rights even when behind on payments. It varies by location of course and he needs to understand the requirements. Moving the rig could a lot of legal problems and cost.

Written or not the the renter has a legal contract.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

labonteak wrote:

I rented out to own my 5th wheel for someone to live in. They have defaulted on the rent. How do I repossess while they are still living in it?
Do you even know where they are?
Have you visited them in person to calmly discover their situation that caused them to stop paying? As a landlord you may still need to maintain the trailer. Written agreement should have provisions for all this.

If they really intend to not pay anything I would very nicely ask them to move out and allow you to come get the trailer. Offer to bring no legal action, no bad mark on their credit, no bad mark on their rental history etc if they are out in 30 days. Ask them to give you or send you a 30 day notice to quit to formalize the offer.

Expect the trailer to be nearly demolished inside upon return. I assume these people are judgement proof so court could be an expensive battle with no chance of recovery.

Rental business is tough at times. I know you tried to help these people. You know the saying... no good deed goes unpunished.

What is the realistic trade in value of this trailer?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have many investment properties. Through experience I found this to be very effective. Approach the tenant and ask if they would accept a cash payment of $500 to move out in 3 days. If they accept return and have some paperwork ready to be signed by the tenant and also have the local sheriffs department available when the paperwork is signed. This has worked %90 of the time for me. The $500 really pi$$es me off but it is a he!! of a lot cheaper than the cost of an eviction. Good luck

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV repossession question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.