|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

ScottG wrote:

The water pump functions as a check valve and it isn't working right.
Most of the time the problem is the pump has sucked up a piece of junk from the tank (plastic bits form assembly).
If you're handy, simply take the head of the pump apart and rinse all the parts off (water off of course).
You probably wont even see the problem but it will work afterwards. If not, you're not out anything.

Possible ----could be check valve inside the pump (single diaphragm)

BUT OP didn;t have the problem UNTIL he messed with the FILL Valve

And ran water through the pump..

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Discussed the water with a tech from our local water dept. He told me not to worry too much about water in the tank, just empty it and refill with city water every month or two, as the clorine content in the city water here is plenty high to sanitize the tank and plumbing. So I just leave about half tank of water. then flush occasionally. usually empty and refil before leaving for trips. Another trick, when showering, when connected to shore water, if you turn the pump on, it gives much better pressure in the shower.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

FILL valve.....if swapped from City To FILL with water supply on the o-rings in the FILL Vlave can get disloadged.....LEAK thru filling fresh water tank

I haven't used City Water connection since 2008
Always fill tank and use the pump
Consistant pressure/flow PLUS if pump short cycles you know you have a leak
(City water just continues to run until RV is flooded by unknow leak)

Using the fresh water tank/pump isn't just for boondocking!

Course with FILL Valve leaking thru the PUMP may continue to RUN because system pressure not high enough to shut pump off
Water from pump 'round-robin' thru Fill valve---low pressure depending on how bad FILL Valve leaks thru

It sounds like what Old-Biscuit is saying about the O-rings is what has happened. It's important to turn off the city water and depressurize the system by opening a faucet before turning your water selector valve. Not doing this is a common cause for losing an O-ring. Sounds like you'll need to disassemble the valve and replace one or more O-rings.

Rob

I believe that might be what happened. As I stated, I'm not used to using the tank side of things, so I think I probably just switched the source, turned on the pump, and started running water. I'll check the O-rings in the three way valve and see if any are missing.

Thanks for the advice!

2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you sanitize the fresh water tank after filling but before running its water through your water lines?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Report back with the outcome

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill the fresh tank upon arrival. It only took once to learn that lesson when the park shut the water off to fix a leak or whatever. The older the park the higher the chances.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so I was poking around in my water intake area trying to figure out getting the valve out, and now I'm noticing that my water pump is kicking on every few seconds for like a 1 second burst, which I assume means it's losing pressure somewhere?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

avarusbrightfyre wrote:

Ok, so I was poking around in my water intake area trying to figure out getting the valve out, and now I'm noticing that my water pump is kicking on every few seconds for like a 1 second burst, which I assume means it's losing pressure somewhere?

Yes, it's leaking backwards into the tank. Do as I posted earlier or I guess just learn to live with it.

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

avarusbrightfyre wrote:

Yes, it's leaking backwards into the tank. Do as I posted earlier or I guess just learn to live with it.

I took the pump apart as suggested, rinsed everything out and then put it back together. Still has the same problem. I did notice that one of the screw threads is stripped so one of them isn't tightening down. It's one of the middle ones, so I don't know how much that would affect the seal.

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bucky, and if upon arrival no water is available? I never leave home or a campground without a full fresh water tank if available. If a TV and/or TT can’t handle the weight, someone bought the wrong TV and/or TT. Lots of beautiful DRY campgrounds in the West.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.