RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevy 8.1 truck with low miles?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 8.1 truck with low miles?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found another one in Lynnwood with about 82k miles.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 8.1 in a 2500 Burb. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. I wasn't in love my Yukon Denali XL, but the 6.2 in that seemed more powerful towing than the 8.1.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

A lot of love for the 8.1 is it was the only gasser GM offered with the Allison transmission. It's a coveted combo, just like the LBZ is the most coveted Duramax.

Sales guy that I've been dealing with for the last 10 years or so at a Chevy dealer says any LBZ they take on trade is gone within a week. He said people are on a waiting list to buy an LBZ trade-in.

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 01:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at an RV show some time ago looking at a very nice very large motor home. I mumbled something about gas mileage and the salesman summed it up quite nicely, he said it gets great mileage for a house...never gave towing mileage a second thought after that and, my 8.1 has 110k on the clock.

The older we get, the faster we go

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are filled with nostalgia.
The 8.1 was a great engine, so was the 7.3 PSD and the LBZ Duramax. THey were very reliable platforms.
Nevertheless I don't think they compare to the current motors in terms of performance and towing experience. It's nice to reminisce, but when it comes time to buy give me a modern engine with all the power and the multi gear trannies. OEM exhaust brakes make a difference as well.
Those old engines you guys are remembering were mere stepping stone to today's monsters. ...and just when we want to complain about all the emissions stuff remember the air is a lot cleaner and we are RV'ing well into our 80's as a result of the cleaner air and the emissions standards and equipment.
For you football fans:
John Unitas was an immortal QB for the Baltimore Colts however he didn't possess the athleticism of Lamar Jackson. (GO Ravens)
I don't want John Unitas era players to face the Titans this weekend and I don't want to tow with a 4 speed drivetrain or use a truck without an exhaust brake either!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

2007 8.1 3500 dually regular cab. Towing this snowcat it averaged just under 5 mpg. The truck, trailer and snowcat weighed right close to 27,000 lbs. The truck was retired just last year with about 85,000 miles on it.

The trucks primary purpose what towing the snowcat. At least 80% of the miles were towing the cat.

Close to 65,000 miles the Hydramatic trans failed. Should have had the Allison.

This truck is what converted me from Fords to Chevys.

[image]

Three yeas ago I got a new snowcat and trailer and right at the end of the grooming season last year I got this 2009 F-450 6.4L diesel.

I hit a boulder that had rolled onto the road while towing the snowcat in a blizzard. That kind of ended the Chevy's life. [emoticon]

This truck averages 5 mpg towing the snowcat and climbs the mountain roads at the same seed that '07 8.1 did.

The F-450 handles the trailer better and having a limited slip rear diff it is a lot more aggressive in poor conditions that the Chevy was.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, there is more to towing than the engine. I have an LBZ 3500 DRW. Has just over 100K. Love the motor and the truck, but I will likely sell it this year and get a new 3500 HD DRW. The new trucks just handle weight better, better brakes, better exhaust brake (my LBZ is tuned for an exhaust brake but it isnt as good as the L5P brake).

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I'm content with what I have now.

I know a diesel has more power but this 6.0L does fine for me. I'm not in a race.

No new truck in the future. I tend to squeeze every mile out of my vehicles I can before I retire them.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

[image]

I'm content with what I have now.

I know a diesel has more power but this 6.0L does fine for me. I'm not in a race.

No new truck in the future. I tend to squeeze every mile out of my vehicles I can before I retire them.

You have more problems than power, as your camper weighs probably close to twice what your truck is rated to carry.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

You have more problems than power, as your camper weighs probably close to twice what your truck is rated to carry.

Like I was told one time in another forum, "Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about".

Power isn't a problem and neither is the weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 8.1 truck with low miles?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.