|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Tips for California early April RV trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lived in calif 42v years and I still haven't been to Joshua Tree
But I love Sequoia Nat Pk, kings canyon, Mount lassen park (plug Dome volcano) bubbling mud pots etc,

Calif hw1, is beautiful I drove it once with a pickup and popup trailer, I will NOT drive
that road near Morro Bay etc with a motorhome , maybe in a converted van camper, NOT in a 102 inch wide motorhome, not anywhere north of Pismo
San Simeon south I'm ok with
Jalamma Beach Santa Barbra county , great place off the beaten track, great surf, wind surfing , surf fishing, lots of beach , even when the campground is full, the beach seems empty, because it is so large, accepts reservations,

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

abp615 wrote:

Thank you! I like the idea of skipping LA totally and going through Bakersfield. Thanks so much for that idea and for the specific ideas in PS, JT, etc. the four hours or 400 miles rule of thumb is very helpful too.

Thanks so much.

If your kids love trains, (who doesn't) then be sure to stop and see the Tehachapi Loop. Only one of it's kind. There is also a fuel stop at the top of the hill if you don't want to stop in Bakersfield. Also, there is an airplane bone yard in Mojave that's interesting. Be safe...Dennis

Tehachapi Loop

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your route, another dry campground that has interesting backdrops for the campsites & some nice hikes is Red Rock Canyon State Park in California near Cantil.

Some of my photos of the park.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

abp615

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gorgeous photos! Thank you so much to all the posters - these are great suggestions. I will get my map out and rethink the trip. Also will make sure we are not on Highway 1 north of San Simeon. I don't think we're ready for those routes.

Jabrad's Papa

Californias Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do decide to go down Hwy 1 south of Monterey, there is a beautiful park set back from everything. Julia Pheifer Park is great. They have a small river, creek, that has a dammed up area. Great for swimming. Lots of hiking and beauty.
If the campground is full they will let you dry camp way in back for a lesser fee.

Lakejumper

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with avoiding going through LA unless you go through at night or early morning on a weekend. Commute traffic is bad. I prefer going through Bakersfield and then down Hwy 395 South to I210 East and I10 East. Have a great trip and make reservations soon. I didn’t see if you stated what time of the year you want to go as Palm Springs and Joshua Tree are very hot (can get well over 100 degrees) in late Spring through late Summer. Also, what type of RV you have for traveling down the coast. If you decide to go through LA, you can stay at Valencia RV Village (off of I5) and take the kids to Magic Mountain.

Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another good stop on the way down is Pismo Beach. Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is nice. Weather is great in that area.

awoodwaring

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aim for a Thursday night Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo.

kazmir

Santa Cruz, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a spot in Monterey yet? Marina Dunes is a full hook up campground before Monterey on Hwy 1. Drove through it and its packed but adequate for a night. If you are driving through to Carmel, there is a RV park on the Carmel River. From there you can drive into Big Sur or just go as far as Point Lobos SP. You will have to park the Motorhome out on the Hwy and walk into the park, its definitely worth it and a great alternative to driving into Big Sur. From Carmel, back track up to Monterey and take Hwy 68 over to 101 to get down to Paso Robles to take 41 over to Morro Bay.

2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!">

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fx2tom wrote:

Another good stop on the way down is Pismo Beach. Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is nice. Weather is great in that area.

Reservations mandatory at Pismo Coast RV Resort and it is most expensive park and sites are packed like sardines. There are 2 state parks within 1/4 miles. electricity/water in the park. The other has elec./ water but not at every site. Both have park dumps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Tips for California early April RV trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.