|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1 ton SRW debate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Have you searched out west for the truck you want? Long beds are more common out west.

I have not, how would one buy a vehicle 1/2 way across the country?

I would think freight charge would be significant.

I bought my F350 CC LB DRW 4x4 in Texas and had it shipped to California for $1000

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I realize this is not the question your raised: But I would not want to carry an Eagle Cap 850 on an SRW when you could choose the stability of a dually.

My 2015 Ram has a sticker payload of 4,300#. This was confirmed by weighing the truck on the way home from the dealership. The Lance 815 I carry weighs about 2,400# wet and loaded for a trip. This means after folks and back seat stuff I have about 1,200# to spare. I would add about 600# to the camper but wouldn't want to add much more than that.

According to TCM, the Eagle Cab 850 has a dry advertised weight of 3,367 which means it's going to weigh at least 4,400# ready for the road. There is no way I'm gong to even begin to attempt to carry that much weight on my truck. It just wouldn't be a pleasant drive much less a safe one.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, when someone literally, intentionally starts a brand war and can't even get a bite, but a weight war breaks out instead.....
I'll go out in a limb and say if billtex has been hauling the 850 on a now 14 year old short bed srw diesel, he couldn't give 2 shts what anyone thinks about him hauling the same camper on a brand new 1 ton long bed srw gasser. Ain't that what you weight cops preach? Diesels eat up the payload for the camper? (They don't, but that's what y'all think...)
To the OP, and this is painful to say, GeeEmm 6.6 will be a brand new power plant. I'd give it a year or just go for the Ford or the Hemi. At least you'll be able to get more than 6 forward gears with the Blue Oval or the Ram.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 03:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried searching for a new GM truck using the locator on the Chevrolet website ? You can filter for what cab, bed and engine you want. It shows some trucks like you want within 150 miles of my area however the other car sites do not.
Might be worth a try. I hate to see you not get to drive one before investing a large amount of money in something you will have for a long time.
A lot of folks don't like the looks of the new Chevy HD trucks, but I do like them. The new 6.6 gas engine would be great for those of us who don't really need a diesel.
Good luck in your search.

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill, did you look at Banks Chevrolet/GMC in Concord, NH, they usually have a large truck inventory

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Man, when someone literally, intentionally starts a brand war and can't even get a bite, but a weight war breaks out instead.....
I'll go out in a limb and say if billtex has been hauling the 850 on a now 14 year old short bed srw diesel, he couldn't give 2 shts what anyone thinks about him hauling the same camper on a brand new 1 ton long bed srw gasser. Ain't that what you weight cops preach? Diesels eat up the payload for the camper? (They don't, but that's what y'all think...)
To the OP, and this is painful to say, GeeEmm 6.6 will be a brand new power plant. I'd give it a year or just go for the Ford or the Hemi. At least you'll be able to get more than 6 forward gears with the Blue Oval or the Ram.

Right.

Glad someone read the OP.

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mote wrote:

Have you tried searching for a new GM truck using the locator on the Chevrolet website ? You can filter for what cab, bed and engine you want. It shows some trucks like you want within 150 miles of my area however the other car sites do not.
Might be worth a try. I hate to see you not get to drive one before investing a large amount of money in something you will have for a long time.
A lot of folks don't like the looks of the new Chevy HD trucks, but I do like them. The new 6.6 gas engine would be great for those of us who don't really need a diesel.
Good luck in your search.

Have been waiting for months. No GM 6.6 Long bed CC anywhere. Frustrating.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't be concerned about the fuel usage of the new ford 7.3.

I have the 2017 4x4 f350, cc, LB, 6.2, 6 speed and I'm only getting on the highway 10.5 to 11 mpg no load with the winter fuel. I can get 13.5 to 14 mpg no load in the summer. All this is done at 70 mph or just under. Anything over 70 mph it's thirsty.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I missing something?
What about this one?
Chevy
I did an autotrader search using advanced search within 300 miles of newport RI and used Chevy and GM 3500 gas 4 door 4wd trucks and there are a few 6.6's when you scroll the results.
search

Or is there something specific I missed as far as what you are looking for?

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just order your truck? I've had my truck for almost 16 years now, and there's never a time when I get in it and think that I would have been better off with one off the lot. Never. I'm hoping to keep it for another ten years and maybe I'll order a new truck then. I was 21 when I bought it and I'll be 46 then, I figure that's about the right amount of time before a new truck is needed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1 ton SRW debate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.