|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1 ton SRW debate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

I wouldn’t own a HD gas engine truck with cylinder deactivation. More things to go wrong.

Me either, if I ever find one with cylinder deactivation.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

I wouldn’t own a HD gas engine truck with cylinder deactivation. More things to go wrong.

Why not just deactivate it?

The vehicles I've seen equipped with this its been a mode that you can select.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What debate? I have been driving a Ford one ton SRW since 2002 and it is the best vehicle I have ever had. Travel to find one. Have it shipped. There are plenty of trucks out there if you know where to look.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 6.4 Hemi in my Challenger with cyl. deactivation. There's really nothing to be afraid of. They are not problematic and work off very simple mechanics. There's really nothing appreciably more to go wrong. It's actually one of the reason I got the 6.4 over the 5.7.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I have the 6.4 Hemi in my Challenger with cyl. deactivation. There's really nothing to be afraid of. They are not problematic and work off very simple mechanics. There's really nothing appreciably more to go wrong. It's actually one of the reason I got the 6.4 over the 5.7.

We really need a like button here. [emoticon]

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So i got to test drive the new ford 7.3 l 10 speed today. It’s legit. Noticeable power increase over the 6.2l 10 speed. For some reason the 7.3 shifted smoother than the 6.2l I drove the other day (see post above). I don’t need the 7.3 but I wanted to drive it before I pull the trigger (towing 10k# max).
This was interesting; on a (brief) 10 mile test drive I observed the following.
68 mph “normal” drive mode = 14 mpg
Reset trip meter.
60 mph “eco” drive mode = 19 mpg. Yes 19.

Now this is very unscientific, but it was an interesting observation. I am waiting to see more data points for mpg with the 7.3. If it is close to the 6.2l, I may just check that box. As noted above, I have driven all 3 of the latest generation gassers. The 7.3 is the most robust.

Stay tuned.

Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I’ve been reading about the new gassers, and looking at them also. Mainly the GM 6.6 and the Ram 6.4. I’ve been waiting for GM to up their game with the new gasser. I’ve got an old 6.0 that I’ve been driving for 17 years that has been a great truck, but I want a little more power, and I feel loyal to the GM.

After reading about the Ram, the only complaint was the shift points of the 6spd. All of the reviews and comments with the new 8spd have been very positive on how it totally changed the way the truck drove.

Couple of weeks ago I test drove the Ram and Chevy back to back, both were similar trims, and I liked the Ram so much better. The interior looked and felt nicer, and the 6.4 and 8 spd were super smooth and peppy.

The Chevy felt weak, and did not want to down shift. I’ve since read a couple of articles where the writer had the same feelings about the Chevy. The Chevy sales guy asked how it compared, and I told him that driving the 2 that I liked everything about the Ram better, if it weren’t for having had a great experience with my old truck, that I wouldn’t consider the Chevy,

I’m 95% sold on going to the Ram.

Read MotorTrends 2020 heavy duty truck of the year comparisons. Their thoughts pretty much echo my feelings.

Agree 100%. I have been in GM trucks for 30 yrs. I really feel like GM missed the boat by putting a 6 speed in their new truck. Ford has gone 10 spd and ram 8 spd. I have a DuraMax now, and the powertrain is absolutely awesome and has been trouble free (the rest of the truck is kicking the can). If I were going diesel again, I would def go Duramax. But the new gassers are very competitive. I am trying to get a handle on mpg numbers for these new trucks and i will make a decision soon. It is really starting to look like i may switch truck teams.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

GeoBoy wrote:

Me either, if I ever find one with cylinder deactivation.

Ram.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buying a single rear wheel one ton to get more payload over a 3/4 ton is all smoke and mirrors.
It’s the same hardware.
The truth is the Dana 80 rear axle in an old Dodge 2500 has an 11,000 rating by itself.
Others have a big Sterling axle. Same ones the 3500s have.
It’s really all about tires. No matter what badges or rating stickers you put on a single rear wheel truck, it’s only got two tires to carry the load on.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Buying a single rear wheel one ton to get more payload over a 3/4 ton is all smoke and mirrors.
It’s the same hardware.
The truth is the Dana 80 rear axle in an old Dodge 2500 has an 11,000 rating by itself.
Others have a big Sterling axle. Same ones the 3500s have.
It’s really all about tires. No matter what badges or rating stickers you put on a single rear wheel truck, it’s only got two tires to carry the load on.

Spring packs and tires are different. Yes, you can upgrade these.

But why?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1 ton SRW debate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.