|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Silverado 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new trucks have a longer wheelbase.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 12:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

How many inches back?
I played around with my Andersen and B&W and 2-4" made no difference in handling.
It also will depend on heavy your pin is. Mine was only 1800 lbs.

Not to be a wise butt head, but 1800 pounds really won't make much of a diff as you stated. When you're pushing 3500-4000+, that's where you're king pin location makes a diff. Especially for steering. Just look at folks towing TT where truck's headlights could guide in 747's, sparks from safety chains would make Smokey the bear cry and only front brakes on tandem axle trailer work right (or too much). Oh, not to mention the rear of TT high enough that a 'Vette can easily fit under it.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Marine0311

Mi

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your information, very informative. I will let you know what I end up getting

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

How many inches back?
I played around with my Andersen and B&W and 2-4" made no difference in handling.

Not to be a wise butt head, but 1800 pounds really won't make much of a diff as you stated. When you're pushing 3500-4000+, that's where you're king pin location makes a diff. Especially for steering. Just look at folks towing TT where truck's headlights could guide in 747's, sparks from safety chains would make Smokey the bear cry and only front brakes on tandem axle trailer work right (or too much). Oh, not to mention the rear of TT high enough that a 'Vette can easily fit under it.

A TT is 4' behind the axle. A couple of inches in front or behind the rear axle isn't going to impact front axle weight very much at all even if it is 4000 lbs of pin weight.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

How do I check to see if this is compatible with my lippert frame? My buddy converts his to gooseneck and he likes it. But I've read they can do damage to the frame. This one says it's compatible unlike others.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a wheelbase of 160 inches and 4 inches behind the rear axle a 2500 lb pin will only remove 63 lbs from the front axle.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ Exactly. It's no big deal. I've got my B&W adjusted to place my pin weight as far back as possible on my Ford to gain as much cab to trailer clearance. Adjusted this way it puts the pin directly over the rear axle. On the Chevy you could adjust the B&W to place the pin forward and you'd likely be directly over your rear axle.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

How many inches back?

Agree thats why I said what I said in my post. I never saw what the OP's pin weight was.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned call B&W. You want facts, they will be happy to help.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

How do I check to see if this is compatible with my lippert frame? My buddy converts his to gooseneck and he likes it. But I've read they can do damage to the frame. This one says it's compatible unlike others.

Howdy!

The Reece Goose Box is different from the typical gooseneck. It has a airbag and shocks in goosebox pin box. It is the only one approved to be use by Lippert to not void the warranty.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-158663.html

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

* This post was edited 01/10/20 06:10pm by chiefneon *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Silverado 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.