RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Trailer Tire Speeding Rating??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trailer Tire Speeding Rating??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

OP's TT tongue wt percentage 860/6740= 13%. At GVWR 11,260, 13% is 1,463 so at GVWR, axle wt is 11,260 - 1463 = 9,797 and /4 = 2,450 per tire needed.

I'll caution people against using the bare minimum for what their tires need to carry. The /4 part can be a bit misleading depending on the rig. I know the OP's TT isn't a 16,000 lb. 42' fifth wheel, but on my old rig- I saw as much as a 500 lb. difference between my heaviest loaded tire vs. lightest loaded tire.

True. However to be fair, you might have added this from that same post, although I did not allow as much as that 500lb margin:

"OP's STs now 3,520 per tire at 80PSI, but LT would be more like 2,680 at 80PSI (so wheels can take that same as for ST) but still enough for weight but just enough margin for uneven wts per tire as is common with RV loading. "

I don't know what is making the OP so nervous about his STs that apparently have huge margin for weight carrying plus they can do the speed he wants. However, from above posts it seems there are LTs with higher than 2680 available he could choose to get more margin using LTs.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I don't know what is making the OP so nervous about his STs that apparently have huge margin for weight carrying plus they can do the speed he wants. However, from above posts it seems there are LTs with higher than 2680 available he could choose to get more margin using LTs.

BFL13 - having recently purchased this trailer from a local dealer, I don't know the history of the use (or abuse) on the tires. The rig itself is in great condition so for peace of mind, I plan to replace the tires. My original question was based on what I now know is old information. Now that y'all have schooled me, I plan to go with something comparable to what's on the rig now. GY Endurance as others have suggested are available locally so I may just go with those. BTW - I just downsized to this rig from a 40 ft, 18k gross FW toy hauler so part of the tire fear probably comes from that to.

Again, I appreciate everyone's response to my question.

Frank

FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless the dealer did it before selling it to you, you will also not know the last time the bearings and brakes were serviced per Dexter rules on that. IMO if so, be worth getting that done so you know where you are at for timing that maintenance schedule from now on.

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Unless the dealer did it before selling it to you, you will also not know the last time the bearings and brakes were serviced per Dexter rules on that. IMO if so, be worth getting that done so you know where you are at for timing that maintenance schedule from now on.

Thanks for the additional tip BFL13, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Frank

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can check the date of tire manufacturer using the codes on the tires, too, to give (or take) some piece of mind about them.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankoToo wrote:

Thanks for everyone's response. Very much appreciated. I can now say I learned something new today. I also feel better knowing I can do what I wanted to accomplish without having to upgrade the rims on my TT at the same time. Time to go tire shopping. Happy camping all. Thanks again.

Sometimes you get a little information that does not fit the situation. The tire industry standards (USTMA) are quite stern about replacement tire load capacity and say to NEVER use replacement tires with load capacities below what the vehicle manufacturer provided with the original tires. They also do not recommend basic design changes unless approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP get this tire and have no worries.

Goodyear Endurance ST235/80R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E - 724858519. Radial special trailer tire with automotive-grade tread has a 10-ply rating and a 3,420 max load at 80 psi.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

97chevor

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would replace with LTs because they are stronger the weight is rated at 99 mph not 65 mph.

ST tires are so misleading. Cheap and a road hazard for everyone. I had blowouts on new STs from trailer factories made it less than 40 miles. It is even stamped on the side of the tire do not use on passenger vehicles. I take this as meaning DO NOT trust your life on this tire.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

97chevor wrote:

I would replace with LTs because they are stronger the weight is rated at 99 mph not 65 mph.

ST tires are so misleading. Cheap and a road hazard for everyone. I had blowouts on new STs from trailer factories made it less than 40 miles. It is even stamped on the side of the tire do not use on passenger vehicles. I take this as meaning DO NOT trust your life on this tire.

The Endurance is available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger load capacities, according to Goodyear. It also has a speed rating of N (87 mph)

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For whatever it is worth, I have been using the Endurance tires for the last few years, Load Range D (which is excessive for my trailer). After 20,000 miles, I am very happy with them.

But I almost never go over 65 mph.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trailer Tire Speeding Rating??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.