|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+Hi all.New guy here. I purchase 2001 Winnebago Brave SE 29A. Runs good, but my front of vehicle is low. It have workhorse chassis. There are no airbags in front. Could it be my shock?.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello and welcome.
Shocks do nothing for ride height. That's in he springs. If it is sitting low, the springs are probably worn out. You will need to find the ride height specs and measure from the frame to the ground.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assume this is a Workhorse P chassis.

OE was air bags inside the coil springs.

Another good option if low (after measuring ride height) is new coil springs specifically designed for your actual coach weight:

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took to the RV repair shop to inspect my front and I was told that my shocks are gone, but the spring is ok. They will put a airbags in springs too. The factory did not put airbags.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2001 Winnebago Brave 30 W. It had air bags in the front springs but always sat slightly low in front. We were on a trip and both front bags failed which let it sit really low. We finished the trip like that and when I got home I ordered new springs from Henderson Steer Safe. I put them in myself, it was a fairly big job, but well worth it. It sits up like it should and rides and drives better than ever. You have to weigh the front end and they will send the proper springs based on the weight. The front end then has to be re-aligned. The cost for the springs was a little over $500 if I remember right and the alignment was somewhere around $100+. I am very satisfied with the new springs. If you are not mechanically inclined with a place to work, the alignment shop could probably install them.
Edit: I just checked and I think the springs are called super steer not steer safe and they are priced at $360 a pr on Henderson's web site.
Just google Henderson super steer.

* This post was edited 01/09/20 08:55am by olfarmer *

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While your shocks may be worn out and need replacing, they will not affect the ride height. The ride height is a function of the springs. The shocks just slow the spring down when you hit a bump.

I would find a public scale to weigh the RV they are more common than you would think. You don't need a certified weight, you just need a weight. You can do a web search for a CAT scale, but they may not be plentiful in your area. Other places to call would be moving and storage companies, the local landfill, a grain silo, heck any place that regularly runs big trucks in and out will probably have a truck scale.

If you do weigh you want to load the RV as if headed for a trip. Make sure the fresh water tank is full and fill up the fuel tank. Then drive to the scale and take three weights. 1) The front axle. 2) The whole RV. 3) The rear axle.

Take these wights and have your RV repair shop order and replace the springs and shocks.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myface wrote:

The factory did not put airbags.

Incorrect if Workhorse P chassis-- at least from Workhorse. No idea what your coach maker did.

Yes, shocks are unrelated to ride height.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The springs are fine but we'll put air bags in"?
That right there is a warning sign.
BTW, after you get the ride height corrected, you'll want to get it alligned.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

years back ( around 20) I was mechanic and work with suspensions. I did have to (on occasion) change the springs and was not a pleasant job. I told the guy about the springs and he said that shocks will raise the front. Right now, when I go too fast (5mph) into a dip in road, my tire will rub on body. For last 15 years, I was OTR truck driver and do not mind to go to a cat scale, but driving with the nose down is difficult. I will let them change the shocks and bags. See if this will raise my front a bit.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Hello and welcome.
Shocks do nothing for ride height. That's in he springs. If it is sitting low, the springs are probably worn out. You will need to find the ride height specs and measure from the frame to the ground.

No shocks will not but being a 2001 the springs maybe be weak may need to be changed if shocks came with coach need to be changed with them.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.