|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going thru mid-life crisis and thinking about getting a motorcycle. Rode years back but have had a itch for a while and it's becoming inflamed and red and REALLY itchy.

Too old for a crotch rocket, not interested in a cruiser style bike.

Seems that the adventure bike style seems to suit my fancy because we camp a lot in the mountains so I could do some trail riding/exploring. The remaining time would be driven around town.

The BMW R1200GS seems to be the standard in which everyone compares to. The Triumph Tiger appears to be real similar in style, where as the KTM 1290 and the Honda Afrika Twin seem to be more of a dirt bike style DNA that has been modified/equipped to be more of an adventure bike that can handle the road miles better than just a dual-sport bike.

Looking to get used cause don't want to end up with a 20K toy in the garage cause I don't get the time to ride. Have seen several BMW on the used market and a few of the others.

Just wanted to see if any RV'ers also ride similar bikes and might be willing to chime in their thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't speak from direct experience, but my BIL got the BMW a few years ago...rode the heck out of it without any problems that weren't driver caused (great bike, but it's not a 2-wheel ATV). Can't say for sure, but believe he put 25k miles on it in a 3 (?) year stretch.

Made him feel young enough again (apparently) that he un-retired and took a consulting gig back on Wall Street, so the bike doesn't get used as much now.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those adventure bikes are kind of cool, but consider size when you look at them. Now consider height, stop on the offside of a hill, can you put a foot down? Now consider the weight, if it falls over or you drop it, it's a "dirt bike" after all, can you pick it up? Now consider engine size, do you "need" 800cc, 1000cc, or 1200cc? Racing or just trail riding, and back road bombing?

If you're going to street ride then the above points are pretty immaterial, but if you plan on spending more time offroad, than on, then consider a bike you can manhandle around easily. We rode 250cc two stroke dirt backs way back when because the seat height was reasonable, the power was adequate, and they didn't wear you to a frazzle running through the woods. And easy to pick up when, not if, you dropped it.

One more thing I thought about: lighter bikes are easier to handle in the sand. Sand can be very scary if you can't keep the front end light.

* This post was edited 01/09/20 11:28am by fj12ryder *

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the Triumph and especially the BMW are beasts when it comes to their weights.
In reality, it will probably be more of a touring bike that I can take off road as opposed to a dirt bike that I can ride on the highway all the time. If I could get my wife's panties out of a bunch, I've got a 10 YO that I'd like to get him something to ride. If that were ever to be the case, I'd probably lean more to something that we could ride together, which would lead to more of a dirt style bike

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An adventure bike and a dirt bike are totally different. Adventure bike is good on the road,decent on off road roads,well cared for trails,but not on dirt bike trails or paths.
There are a lot of facebook adventure groups. Some are hardcore,mud rut riders,but a lot are about the sane adventures.
A few guys in some of the Harley sites I'm on have guys that do both.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
Looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler

shepfly

NW Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest a Suzuki DR400 or DR650 or a Kaw KLR in that disp. class. If you're alone on any unknown trail surface you need to be able to get out from under the bike and have a chance of picking it up when it's laying downhill. Most of your mishaps will occur on sloped trails or sand. You need to get on that bike and get some experience, find someone with trail experience to clue you into the methods and enjoy! All the models I suggested can be purchased for less than 5 grand and 5 yrs old. They also can run down the highway at 70 if you wish, and won't brake the bank for insurance. Dave

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your definition of "trail riding". Because my definition of trail riding doesn't include trying to muscle anything more then about 300 lbs around. (I've done several thousand miles of trail riding, and even now at well into my 60's). Weight and trails are mutually exclusive.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trail riding might be something akin to what a Jeep or other 4 wheeler might do on some of the trails in Colorado or some other state. Mountain passes that advertise 4x4 or high ground clearance vehicle.

As far as comments from shepfly: There are several roads in the area that I would consider riding on the 70 MPH is the absolute minimum speed to keep up with the flow of traffic, much less getting run over.

Just like with a camper, you always want to buy your 2nd one 1st

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my experience, but I've never been happy trying to make one bike do it all. A dual purpose bike is normally not great at either purpose. Most of my life, I've had at least 2, and often 3 bikes, so I could more enjoy the type riding I am doing.

It sounds like you'd like to get your son started dirt biking, which is a great idea, a good place to learn, before riding the street. My suggestion for you, is to get a bike that will operate at speed on the freeway. Now with your wife's approval get a couple trail bikes, say a 250 size for you, and a 125-150 for your son. You won't enjoy using a 1000-1200cc bike of any kind, riding slow on back roads with your son, while he is learning.

The Honda CRFs make great casual off road riding bikes, and are reasonably priced. They are easy to sell, when your son wants to move up in size.

Jerry

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shepfly wrote:

I would suggest a Suzuki DR400

DRZ400S models are nice, but kinda small for long term highway riding.

Here's mine, which I've had since 2006. I ride it off highway mostly

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.