|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Great new electrical connectors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel dumpy for just now knowing about it. A friend said he had a bunch of extra I could have. (His dad was an engineer of sorts, so he gets a lot of cool ideas).

This will simplify life so much.
Ebay had 60 for only $13, thats 13 cents each if I did math right.

[image]

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a concern. Since you can "twist and pull" the wire out, how will these work on "mobile" moving equipment? I don't trust wire nuts on campers as I have witnessed several of them fall off.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing better than a good ol fashioned wirenut twisting the wires together.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

enblethen wrote:

They use the same style of jab in connector terminals on some switches and receptacles. Less then desireable connection.
Rated for different gauges of wire but may not work well with small and large wire.
I believe these are rated by code to allow to be covered in a wall without a J-box. In essence rated same as continuous wire by code.

I have never seen a code that allows splices to be "buried" in a wall

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

enblethen wrote:

They use the same style of jab in connector terminals on some switches and receptacles. Less then desireable connection.
Rated for different gauges of wire but may not work well with small and large wire.
I believe these are rated by code to allow to be covered in a wall without a J-box. In essence rated same as continuous wire by code.

apparently nobody reads the code then. try 334.40B, kits have been available for years.. page 195 on NFPA 70

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wago is not a twist and pull, not sure where that came from. There is a lever than clamps down and the wire is stuck until the lever gets pulled up, which takes quite a bit of prompting to do - should never unhook by itself.

If you look at any DIY forum long enough you figure out that individuals are not bound by any code. Following a code will be safer, but code is not the only safe way. Individuals can take their own risk and judgment for what will work and be safe, right or wrong, the layman does not read 1,000 page code book to connect two wires together. This is a tired comment to keep bringing up every time someone works on their RV. Feel free to suggest a better way, but stop with the code references

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last I knew the only place that a splice/joints, are allowed, not in an assessable box, is under ground.

Dusty

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

enblethen wrote:

apparently nobody reads the code then. try 334.40B, kits have been available for years.. page 195 on NFPA 70

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

Just because they make them doesn't make them legal. Apparently you read the code wrong. Those splices are allowed for exposed work per sec 334.40. we were talking about buried in the wall.

Re read the code sec 300.15A Need a box for a splice there are exceptions but the application talked about is not one of them.

* This post was edited 02/12/20 11:58am by Mike134 *

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

enblethen wrote:

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

Just because they make them doesn't make them legal. Apparently you read the code wrong. Those splices are allowed for exposed work per sec 334.40. we were talking about buried in the wall.

Re read the code sec 300.15A Need a box for a splice there are exceptions but the application talked about is not one of them.

pretty sure I'm not, not sure how else to interpret concealed

Code

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Great new electrical connectors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.