|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class A crash

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven’t seen this posted!
You don’t get first hand footage very often! Looks very bad, hopefully everyone is Ok.

Class A crash

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He noted in the comments that he was the only one on board and walked away, thankfully. Glad no one was in the front passenger seat...looks like the overhead drop-down bed came down hard on that seat.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All he had to do was slow down and wait for the car to go by before trying to change lanes. Driving too aggresively and not paying attention.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a (tedious blow by blow) followup posted by the RV owner saying basically that "I put on my turn signal and hit the brakes but the car next to me wouldn't slow down". So I'm pretty sure he was saying "It's not my fault" [emoticon]

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at it several times, it appears the driver relied way too much on the vehicle to their side yielding. You can clearly see the RV entered the left lane while the car was already occupying the space to the RV's side. I think it will really come down to the RV driver driving too fast without recognizing the traffic in front. If you time the lane markers going by, the RV didn't slow until almost right on top of the truck.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

After looking at it several times, it appears the driver relied way too much on the vehicle to their side yielding. You can clearly see the RV entered the left lane while the car was already occupying the space to the RV's side. I think it will really come down to the RV driver driving too fast without recognizing the traffic in front. If you time the lane markers going by, the RV didn't slow until almost right on top of the truck.

Exactly.

And to top it off when he captioned the video he put "Evasive maneuver, didn't want to hit white Car". It sure looked to me that it was the white car who had to make the evasive maneuver to not get run over by the idiot driving the rig.

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow....Always amazes and scares me with how little it takes to make these things absolutely disintegrate. Makes me consider going back to a towable RV, where at least my most precious cargo (passengers) are in a truck with a steel cage surrounding them, much better protected in the case of a wreck.

At any rate, it may well be that that RV driver was at fault here. However, can we have a little bit of respect, compassion for the man?

His beautiful, very new looking RV just got totaled, is a big mess, and he is fortunate to walk away with his life. We don't need to be calling him a 'idiot driver' or throwing other insults. I'd say he's paid dearly enough (and will pay) for his mistake(s). He doesn't need anyone adding to it by insulting him on public forums.

Its so easy to call the other guy 'idiot' and everything else when things like this happen on the road, but reality is we ALL make mistakes from time to time. Not a one of us are perfect. Any one of us could make the same mistakes this guy did, and find ourselves in a similar predicament. If it was you or someone close to you that got distracted or whatever and had a bad wreck like this, you'd see this very differently.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of thoughts... I would much rather have been in my Class C {Ford E-350 Chassis} than a class A that came apart like a cheap card table. Not much steel between the occupants of an A vs a C. Anyone in the front passenger seat would have likely been severely injured or killed.

Clearly the A driver was driving too fast without nearly enough following distance. When your lane becomes obstructed you have to be able to stop as you have no right whatsoever to the next lane over UNLESS it is clear and safe to move into.

The "2 second rule" of following distance is the bare minimum for most vehicles and when you are in 20,000+# of RV you should make that the 4 second rule.

I'm glad the driver walked away, hope he bought lottery tickets on the way home. I'm guessing that once lovely Precept was fully insured so all in all he got away with some less than stellar driving.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although it is easy to be an armchair Quaterback after the fact, I'll toss in my .02

My opinion is that the driver of the RV was not paying attention closely enough, and reacted too late.

It was clear ( to me ) that the big rig was stopped with enough time for the RV to react and adapt..
Just MY opinion... Sorry for his loss, hope insurance was paid up !

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

At any rate, it may well be that that RV driver was at fault here. However, can we have a little bit of respect, compassion for the man?

Its so easy to call the other guy 'idiot' and everything else when things like this happen on the road, but reality is we ALL make mistakes from time to time.

Maybe, but in this case the guy is an idiot, actually he is something else. He captions the video to make it look like the white car which was in the lane beside him was somehow at fault, He almost caused the white car to nail the silver car to its left who also had to make an evasive maneuver.To top it off below the video on Youtube he provides a link to his company that sells solar equipment. Then on his business blog he posts this.

"Our current test bench took a fatal blow recently. Fortunately no one was seriously injured except, perhaps, Progressive Insurance who had to pay out for a “Total Loss”. Sorry Flo." Almost like he's laughing about it.

A total loss to the test bench and I'm sure Flo paid for the damage to the semi also, all because the jerk was not paying attention and driving too fast for the conditions he put himself in.

Not only do I not have any compassion for the man, I hope Progressive drops him like a rock, his rates increase 300%, and he walked away with a nice fat citation.

* This post was edited 01/10/20 02:17pm by GDS-3950BH *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class A crash
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.