|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Low cargo carrying capacity rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

It's camping, not glamping. Leave the house at home.

For some people it is their home. Some people also travel long distances for long periods. Not everyone camps in their backyard like you claim most of your camping is.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ Exactly, I know I am repeating myself here but if you look at units like these you need to ask who the target consumer is here. This is a ideal unit for someone who full times or spends a lot of time on the road and the Solitudes are full time rated. This unit I was referring to has only #2200 capacity and that is BEFORE batteries/propane/ and any other accessories you may add after the factory such as a washer and dryer (why else put hook ups on them otherwise?) etc. I know from reading these forums that a lot of you love to boondock now imagine adding a battery bank (better go lithium here)/solar/ and the nearly 100 gallons of water this thing can hold and you are realistically on the edge if not overweight before you even put one personal item in this thing. No matter how you try to slice it, it comes up drastically short.

4 years ago when we went shopping for our current fifth we looked at the Reflections line and at that time anyway they were short on CCC which was one of the reasons we crossed them off the list. My current #9060 (sticker)little Wildcat has more CCC than this beast I've been referring too, just doesn't make sense. Fortunately I have plenty of CCC on our fifth for how we use it today for week long trips and weekends.

Can you imagine shopping for a truck and you come across a dually (pick your brand) with #5000 payload capacity and build like a tank ideal for pulling your 16K rig but it only came with a anemic 80's era 140HP V6 in it? Maybe a bad analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make.

I would gladly pay an extra $5k for them to ditch the 7K axles or make it a triple and strengthen the frame if needed to add a couple thousand pound of capacity to this thing, after all if your spending 70-80 K on a rig like this whats another 5k? I wonder how many people who are dreaming of full timing even pay attention to this.

Off my soapbox again[emoticon]

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Big Country weighs in at 14,000 empty and max GVW of 16,000. Fully loaded for a week of camping (DW,DS, dog & cat), "stuff" everywhere, RV comes in at 15, 980!. Compared to our '06 Silverback, we have less CCC w/ the BC than Silver (3k). To this day, we still have stuff in garage and shed that we had Silver that we do not take w/ us in the BC. Probly could still purge stuff from the BC.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

That’s fine, Terry, but in the West you’ll need to pass up some really beautiful dry campgrounds if your fresh water tank is empty. Camp restrooms are usually ok...my TT’s shower, potty and sink is close, never has a waiting line, no one rushes me and it’s always clean.

but I'm lazy. I don't want to go to the dump station. I'd just as soon use the CG facilities. My fresh water tank hasn't had water in it since I bought the TT 7 years ago.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Low cargo carrying capacity rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.