|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> melting plug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the rig itself to see if it is "Hot"? You may have some sort of short that is drawing excessive power.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

Have you checked the rig itself to see if it is "Hot"? You may have some sort of short that is drawing excessive power.

Excessive power trips circuit breakers. Bad/worn out receptacles on power pedestals causes power cord ends plugged into them to over heat and burn up.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's the same pedestal plug I agree with Flute and cavie. I've seen the same thing with automotive headlamp plugs. You notice the terminals on the headlamp bulb are burned so you get a new bulb. But the female part that the terminal goes into is burned just as badly. If you don't replace both parts it just repeats the damage over and over.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dustinl wrote:

in the past 14 months i have had to replace the 30A plug that plugs into the rv parks box at least 3 times because 1 of the prongs overheats and melts my plug. need ideas on what might be the cause

OP has not been back in like 8 days, if same park, bad pedestal outlet. Different parks likely too much draw.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's sad but the industry's NEMA TT30R/P design is really under engineered IMHO. Many decades ago when it was created, there were no electric water heaters (in RV's) or micros, TV's, large battery chargers, etc. Just some lights and the occasional space heater. Then add in poor quality, off shore parts and it only gets worse.
We use a lot more of the capacity if these "trailer" circuits now and while they work OK when everything is perfect, they don't like running a constant load at anywhere close to their 30A rating.
It's too bad we can't switch over to the marine undustrys 30A receptacle for pedestals. It seems to hold up better.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

It's sad but the industry's NEMA TT30R/P design is really under engineered IMHO. Many decades ago when it was created, there were no electric water heaters (in RV's) or micros, TV's, large battery chargers, etc. Just some lights and the occasional space heater. Then add in poor quality, off shore parts and it only gets worse.
We use a lot more of the capacity if these "trailer" circuits now and while they work OK when everything is perfect, they don't like running a constant load at anywhere close to their 30A rating.
It's too bad we can't switch over to the marine undustrys 30A receptacle for pedestals. It seems to hold up better.

If you watch when people plug in and unplug, almost always the breaker is not turned off. It doesn't matter what kind of receptacle is used, none will escape damage from this kind of abuse. I always plug in multiple times to wipe the contacts and also use a sacrificial plug to save the power cord end.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

dustinl wrote:

in the past 14 months i have had to replace the 30A plug that plugs into the rv parks box at least 3 times because 1 of the prongs overheats and melts my plug. need ideas on what might be the cause

OP has not been back in like 8 days, if same park, bad pedestal outlet. Different parks likely too much draw.

How do you draw too much without tripping the parks breaker?

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

The 30A twist lock used in marinas is worst than the RV 30. It is a 80 or 90 year old hospital design and routinely causes marina fires.

This is the new plug for marinas, however it would take years to convert everybody.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smartplug........Ch3GfQzyEAQYAiABEgK1FPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be a very long time for the "Smart Plug" be approved by NEMA.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

whiteeye42

Rock Springs Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i think he is just a troll since he has not been back to even respond to any of the question that were posed to him about the problem

Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> melting plug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.