|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First trip with new baby advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, my wife and I can't wait to introduce our little girl to camping and are looking for any advice anyone might have on what to bring/do and want not to do. She will be 1 in July but was born 3 months premature so will be closer to a 9 month old when we head out. We've got a few weekend trips in May/June planned to test things out but then in July we are heading out for a 3 week trip to Idaho, Oregon and Montana...which might be a little ambitious but go big or go home right?! Thanks in advance for your tips!

Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

200yrs ago...Indians did it year round without an RV. Don't overthink it.

Assuming no significant health issues...start out staying at parks with power & water so you can keep the little one comfortable and clean while you sort things out.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it when our oldest was 4 months old. We started small...lot of state parks within 3 hours of home. By the time she was 2, we were in other states. For us, both pulling a TT and a baby were new to us, so we didn't push it too much on either side.

By the time we had our 2nd, at 3yrs old we were pulling out TT from IL to FL for Disney. Multiple day drive. So, yeah, when the kids are used to it, it just works. They knew young that this is what we do.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out with a tent, and I know for sure one daughter born in mid May 1979 went camping in July. We have 4 kids and they all camped as babies, but by the last one we graduated to a pop-up. The only thing we did different was use disposable diapers instead of the usual cloth....I'm sure unheard of these days!
They will survive.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 22 Nights

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are smiling and happy your child will be too. We stopped every hour for a few minutes on the first few trips for playtime.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

We started out with a tent, and I know for sure one daughter born in mid May 1979 went camping in July. We have 4 kids and they all camped as babies, but by the last one we graduated to a pop-up. The only thing we did different was use disposable diapers instead of the usual cloth....I'm sure unheard of these days!
They will survive.
JK
we used cloth diapers on our boys, born in 2011 and 2013. They are sure fancier then the ones my mom used on my brother and I in the 80’s. For camping one of the items was making sure we knew where the laundry Matt was and packing diaper detergent! (Standard tide type detergents had so many additives that would build up in the cloth and reduce the absorbency)

To the OP. We weren’t hard core campers when our boys were born, but have been taking them on two week camping trips to the mountains since they were a couple months old. Totally different if in a tent, I can’t speak to that, but when in a rv travel trailer type rig it really is no different then being at home. We would borrow my parents little 18’ camper at first, so the only place we had for the boys to sleep was in their play pen on top of the folded down dining table. Left it set up the whole trip and ate outside. Only thing that could be an issue is noise. Some babies wake very easy. Friends of ours would run the AC fan as white noise whenever their kids were asleep. The little bath tubs in most campers are perfect baby size!

One heads up, word of caution. A wet diaper can set off the LP gas detector. Be careful not to change the diaper in the middle of the night right in front of it. This was learnt from experience!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both of my daughters started camping in our tiny TT at 6 weeks of age. They are in their 50's now and both are still camping. You are starting yours off right.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A large piece of indoor-outdoor carpeting to play on.

1 yo might be a little young, but when they get to be 2 or 3, get a small folding table and a couple of small chairs. Their own table for drawing/coloring/playing and even eating.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sam22 wrote:

Hey everyone, my wife and I can't wait to introduce our little girl to camping and are looking for any advice anyone might have on what to bring/do and want not to do. She will be 1 in July but was born 3 months premature so will be closer to a 9 month old when we head out. We've got a few weekend trips in May/June planned to test things out but then in July we are heading out for a 3 week trip to Idaho, Oregon and Montana...which might be a little ambitious but go big or go home right?! Thanks in advance for your tips!

Be prepared in advance for emergencies for your daughter's needs:
1. GPS the nearest hospital/Emergency care center before you arrive at your RV site.
2. Have Medical Emergency Kit in your rig.
3. Bring extra medications your daughter might need.
4. Always start each trip with full propane tanks for heating in the event you loose electricity.
5. Bring extra food supplies.
6. Make sure trailer batteries are good and fully charged.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you have a good safe way to keep the bugs off/away from the baby!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First trip with new baby advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.