|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> "Leather" coming apart and peeling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because OLDER models have the problem does not translate to ALL models having this problem. Tiffin had this problem years ago. IF you have an older out of warranty Tiffin, they will recover at no charge if you go to Red Bay, Alabama. If that is not want you want to do, they will send you the covers and you will have to pay the local upholster to do it. There was probably a large bad batch of the Pleather that went out to ALL OEM's that used that brand. It has nothing to do with how you take care of it. Doug

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had they been honest and told us it was NOT leather, we would have opted for cloth. But no, you think leather will last and material (cloth) will wear, had it been a $99,000 diesel, we wouldn't have been surprised, disappointed or felt 'used". But Fleetwood got one over on us. Key word here being "ONE"...never a Fleetwood again!! Beware my friends...beware!

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigfarmer wrote:

Wow SidecarFlip...do you want to loan me a million dollars? We have a beer pocket book. Even at that, when you spend that kind of money on a diesel pusher you don't expect it to fall a part in less than 5 years. It looked like leather, it felt like leather...not being a leather expert we didn't know what we were getting. I just want others to be aware and don't make a mistake like we did.

No problem, I'll write you a check....lol

Keep buying those Super Lotto tickets and you might have a winner.

Candidly, we have friends with one and it not only has real leather seating, it has a marble bathroom with gold plated fixtures too. For 1.75 I expect no less.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jorbill2or

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ultra leather and all the other cute names in almost all coaches /rv’s aren’t “real” cowhide. They are synthetic. In most cases it will do ok. For several years all the manufacturers used a “bad run “ of the stuff. It wasn’t just Fleetwood. Flexsteel I know used it , not sure about the higher end Villa manufacture. This has been , as said , known for several years with several threads in it in all the forums. There has been some luck getting it fixed in the past but word is those days are past.

* This post was edited 01/12/20 04:22pm by jorbill2or *

Bill

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UV light is murder on that stuff. Good reason to keep the windshield shade and night shades closed when you are not using the coach

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Our 2005 has the ultra leather and is in great shape. A year or longer later they started using a cheaper ultra leather, or polyurethane I think it is. it was on these forums and others.
We looked at Winnebago, some American Coach and the others and their seat covers feel like the really cheap car seat covers from Japan 30 years ago as well as the seats being smaller and hard and not fitting us.

The stuff in our '08 is still good, thankfully.

In the OPs case I can't say he would have had any different result had he bought another brand. They all pretty much use the same suppliers.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right, Bruce. That is what Bradd and Hall told us. We've just had some bad "happenings" with our Fleetwood. Added all together makes us think 'no more Fleetwood'...This is our last motorhome anyhow, due to our ages, not the motorhomes'...but if we were to get another one it would NOT be a Fleetwood.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

down home wrote:

Our 2005 has the ultra leather and is in great shape. A year or longer later they started using a cheaper ultra leather, or polyurethane I think it is. it was on these forums and others.
We looked at Winnebago, some American Coach and the others and their seat covers feel like the really cheap car seat covers from Japan 30 years ago as well as the seats being smaller and hard and not fitting us.

The stuff in our '08 is still good, thankfully.

In the OPs case I can't say he would have had any different result had he bought another brand. They all pretty much use the same suppliers.

And that would be LCI. The furniture they manufacture, or have manufactured under the brand name "Thomas Payne" and prior under other names, is absolute junk from the upholstery to the framework, and almost every manufacture uses it /them. Somehow they think the name Thomas Payne reflects quality in furniture LOL. I don't know how, Thomas Payne was a patriot and was a stay maker by trade, which is a person who makes corsets.

It all follows the LCI business model. Build it cheap, make any replacement parts proprietary, then price them 4 times what they're worth. They do it with everything.

You can go on any RV brand specific forum and find hundreds if not thousands of posts regarding the cracking and peeling pleather.

Cracking, Peeling,More peeling, And more peeling, More peeling, And even more peeling and cracking!

It amazes me this industry gets away with what they get away with. I have already come to the conclusion I will be replacing or reupholstering the balance of stuff in our 2020 Grand Design if I keep it long term. I was lucky with our 2014. It was just starting to show cracking and peeling when traded last year. In actuality the pleather was @ 4 years old or a little less.

* This post was edited 01/13/20 07:47am by GDS-3950BH *

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigfarmer wrote:

You are right, Bruce. That is what Bradd and Hall told us. We've just had some bad "happenings" with our Fleetwood. Added all together makes us think 'no more Fleetwood'...This is our last motorhome anyhow, due to our ages, not the motorhomes'...but if we were to get another one it would NOT be a Fleetwood.

While ours was many, many years ago, our second MH was a Fleetwood. Had it been our first MH there never would have been another one - it was that bad.

With that said, Fleetwood today is an entirely different company than it was when we owned ours.

It is sad people have issues with any brand. Thankfully since we traded our Fleetwood for our first Newmar things have been **MUCH** better. We're on our 3rd Newmar, if we ever buy again it will be another.

Good luck with yours.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far our TP stuff is holding up great (knock on vinyl covered wood) but I've read far too many posts about it coming apart.
Does anyone have a pic of a failed item?
I'm just curious what it looks like. It would also be helpfull to know what the first signs of failure are.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> "Leather" coming apart and peeling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.