|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 RAM 2500 with Adventurer 910DB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wolf Creek data estimates that a 2000# camper goes to a wet weight of over 3000# with water, propane, and 500# of stuff. That sounds reasonable except the 500# add on needs to cover food, pots/pans, flatware, plates, clothing, towels, bedding, maybe an upgraded mattress, tools, a generator and generator fuel, lawn chairs, BBQ grill, toiletries, and in my case, camera gear, laptops, archery equipment, a pile of maps and travel guides, leveling blocks, air compressor, water hose, extra oil, gas stabilizer, extended drain hose, bucket/waste basket, etc. Make sure to add the weight for any accessories. For my camper it seems they left out several hundred pounds for the extended cab and queen sized bed and the extra battery and the solar panels. Be real, real careful about that 500# number. The real weight can be a lot more.

Don't forget that when you subtract the truck weight and the final wet camper weight from the GVWR, you also need to consider the weight of all the passengers.

MORSNOW

Eagle River, AK

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My WC850 scaled 3,200lbs fully loaded and ready to camp.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the info. I am between a rock and a hard place. I have a few options it seems, getting rid of the 18 2500 just aint one of them. I custom ordered it and it's the last of it's kind, I'll be buried with it. Anyways, as I see it....

1 - I can gamble on maxing out my GVWR with a wolf creek camper

2 - get another truck as a dedicated camper rig and then be able to get the Adventurer as originally planned

3 - just keep on trucking with my 2014 Jayco 198RD bumper pull

Weighing the pro-cons of each.

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some perspective, here is our 2018 with our Jayco in the background at Flaming Gorge in WY.

[image]

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t look at a Northstar TC. It’s better suited to your truck, because of the height, width and weigh of them.
I am not against Northwood campers, I own a AF990.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Nice looking setup! Love the color of the truck.
Another thought, "most" campers that are short/long bed capable will be C of G 1' or more forward of the rear axle. This will help "some" with some weight transferred to the front axle. Don't expect miracles but every bit helps.
Personally I'd go for it. My idea would be first see how bad it is with just Timbrens or Airbags on the back. You'll need something extra to support some of the weight.
Then prepare to buy the heaviest sway bars you can get for the rear first, then the front.
I bet with hard bump stops like timbrens, shimmed to be engaged quickly with the camper on and aftermarket front and rear sway bars, it'll ride just fine.
Again, it's my opinion, haven't tried it.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t look at a Northstar TC. It’s better suited to your truck, because of the height, width and weigh of them.
I am not against Northwood campers, I own a AF990.

I have looked at the Laredo SC and 8.5 adventurer models. They are nice, but not quite what I am looking for. And the dry weight is more or less the same as the Wolf Creek's.

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ Nice looking setup! Love the color of the truck.

Thanks. Custom ordered it, "New holland blue". Then found a set of Laramie wheels and powder coated them. Then changed all the badges to the "blackout" edition truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed the black wheels. Nice touch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 RAM 2500 with Adventurer 910DB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.