RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full Hookup Sites on Lake Michigan

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Full Hookup Sites on Lake Michigan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

..don’t drink out of cans or bottles. They won’t even know. The policy is to keep out the loud obnoxious drunks!
Yep. Stay inside. Don't go walking around drinking and yelling at your neighbors.

ericosmith

Michigan

Full Member

Joined: 02/08/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there's a full hookup campground actually on Lake Michigan, I've never heard of it and I live here.

GaryS1953

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holland State Park, on that beach parking lot campground, DOES have a few sites with water, not sure about sewer. All their sites have electric. That's the only park I know of on Lake Michigan that has both Electric and water.


Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina 25' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller, 2 GC2 Batts.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lake Michigan water level is really high. If we continue with the rains we had last year I am not sure there will be much beach to go to. If the camp ground is to close to the lake they may have sections closed too.

GDS-3950BH

DC

Full Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 02:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to what can be easily found on Allstays and your MI DNR website as I was not going to waste much time looking.

Holland Sp has 31 FHU sites. Orchard Beach SP has 11. Wilderness SP has 18.

On Erie Sterling SP has some, as does Hartwick Pines SP and South Higgins SP inland, although I might add your DNR reservation site leaves a little to be desired trying to search out what's available.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ericosmith wrote:

If there's a full hookup campground actually on Lake Michigan, I've never heard of it and I live here.


There is at least two that I am aware of and there maybe more. One is Wilderness state park, they have full hookup loop they added a few years ago and about 8 lots are on Lake Michigan. They may or may not have the best views of the lake with the vegetation in between but they are directly on the lake. Another is Manistique Lakeshore Campground. We are staying here this upcoming summer in fact. This one is also new within the last few years. Google pic

Dan


2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

According to what can be easily found on Allstays and your MI DNR website as I was not going to waste much time looking.

Holland Sp has 31 FHU sites. Orchard Beach SP has 11. Wilderness SP has 18.

On Erie Sterling SP has some, as does Hartwick Pines SP and South Higgins SP inland, although I might add your DNR reservation site leaves a little to be desired trying to search out what's available.


None of these are actually lakefront. The FHU sites at Holland are 600 to 1000+ feet from the waters edge, with a large dune in the way. Orchard Beach is on a high bluff above the lake, the stairs to what used to be the beach are closed due to erosion. The FHU loop at Wilderness is 250 feet from the water, with trees in between.

South Higgins is on a large inland lake with a great beach, great fishing, and deep, crystal clear water. Hartwick Pines has no lake access, but does have a large stand of virgin timber.

If you manage to hit Sterling in between the spring mayfly hatch and the summer algae bloom, and don't mind the view of the nuke plant and total lack of trees, it's OK.


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GDS-3950BH

DC

Full Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

According to what can be easily found on Allstays and your MI DNR website as I was not going to waste much time looking.

Holland Sp has 31 FHU sites. Orchard Beach SP has 11. Wilderness SP has 18.

On Erie Sterling SP has some, as does Hartwick Pines SP and South Higgins SP inland, although I might add your DNR reservation site leaves a little to be desired trying to search out what's available.


None of these are actually lakefront. The FHU sites at Holland are 600 to 1000+ feet from the waters edge, with a large dune in the way. Orchard Beach is on a high bluff above the lake, the stairs to what used to be the beach are closed due to erosion. The FHU loop at Wilderness is 250 feet from the water, with trees in between.

South Higgins is on a large inland lake with a great beach, great fishing, and deep, crystal clear water. Hartwick Pines has no lake access, but does have a large stand of virgin timber.

If you manage to hit Sterling in between the spring mayfly hatch and the summer algae bloom, and don't mind the view of the nuke plant and total lack of trees, it's OK.


Good info. Personally having lived right on a real beach for a number of years, the beach is not my cup of tea unless it's from a fishing standpoint. I'll take woods and mountains. Alconac has always been on the bucket list. I can live with a parking lot and no shade for a few days to watch the freighters.

Anyhow Sterling is interesting, what a view LOL.

[image]

[image]

GDS-3950BH

DC

Full Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Lake Michigan water level is really high. If we continue with the rains we had last year I am not sure there will be much beach to go to. If the camp ground is to close to the lake they may have sections closed too.


You could be correct if the Army Corps know what they're talking about. If the OP comes back to the thread I think he should start looking at making other plans. Holy cow, that's almost 4' higher than the long term average come July. Better take an innertube to sit in on the beach.

[image]

smarty

new mexico

Full Member

Joined: 04/23/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I liked Indiana Dunes.

bjkb1f wrote:

Holland state park is out due to no alcohol policy.
How can they possibly enforce that?


They glass the park/beach and automatically eject any violators. Works very well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Full Hookup Sites on Lake Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.