|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good wal mart deep cycle should do the job, I have two in my rv and can go for a couple days without a problem. just shut things off when your done. p.s. the biggest user of 12v is your furnace it,ll suck a good battery dead in about 6hrs use.on a cold night . might look into a propane heater ,camco olyimpion heater ,might be bad spelling. but there same to use.

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries in 2009 and have been using them ever since. I think the fact that they are designed to be deep cycle, and that I rarely run them down much has helped them last so long. I often camp with electricity to plug into, but at least once a year we camp for 5 days with no issues (even better now with LED bulbs in the camper) and for 2 nights in the fall with the furnace. I never expected they would last this long, but I keep the water topped up in them and make sure not to over charge them. Having a good charger/converter in the camper is important to not over charge and also to fully charge them.

2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's
1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon

souljah

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are portable solar panels that come with a charge controller you could use to charge your batteries. It's quick and easy compared to a full solar install. Also a portable generator woks well.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually I'm with Grit Dog on the tow vehicle for a charger. But you might have to do some research. Older tow vehicles will possibly charge your battery, newer tow vehicles will possibly not charge it.

What is the year make and model of the tow vehicle? Hopefully the trailer is stored where it's convenient to access sit.
Next question do you have a multimeter?

If so you can do something to run the existing battery down to 12.3 volts when measured across the terminals on the trailer battery. Write this number down somewhere. Start the tow vehicle and plug in the trailer umbilical.

With the tow vehicle idling take a voltage reading at the battery and write it down as well.
Now let it idle for 20-30 minutes then take another voltage reading and write it down.

Come back and tell us what the measurements are and we can tell you if your tow vehicle can be used as an expensive battery charger.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

I am ready to replace my travel trailers factory installed group 24 rv/marine battery. I briefly searched the forum/internet and found a lot of good info but still wanted to post the question with my exact circumstances here. We have a 2016 Forrest River Flagstaff 23LB travel trailer. Most of the time, we camp with shore power. However, there is at least 1 time a year that we camp dry. With the factory group 24 we haven’t been satisfied. Mostly, the 1 time a year we camp dry is in the early fall. We want the ability to use the lights at night (sparingly), the on demand water pump for dishes and showering, and the fridge for a 3 day camping trip. Our fridge will run on propane but from what I’ve read the control board still needs 12v for power.
Would a true 12v deep cycle battery accommodate this? If so, what brand/model do people recommend? If not, what other recommendations are there? I know of the 2 x 6v golf cart battery setup but would that be overkill for once a year? I appreciate any help!
2x 6v is not overkill and is for many a basic minimum for off-grid camping. Possibly get 2x G27 from Costco/Walmart but you will not save much or anything.

Next issue is your charging system. Many trailers have a converter that just does a trickle charge and you lose capacity from chronic undercharging. Post your converter model for best answers.

Or the battery is often left to discharge in storage between trips giving permanent capacity loss.

Factory stuff generally is not really up to snuff for operating off-grid for more than 18 hours.

Not sure where to find my converter? I'll have to look around and get back to you.

During the winter, my battery is on a trickle charger and during season it's usually plugged in to shore power.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

A good wal mart deep cycle should do the job, I have two in my rv and can go for a couple days without a problem. just shut things off when your done. p.s. the biggest user of 12v is your furnace it,ll suck a good battery dead in about 6hrs use.on a cold night . might look into a propane heater ,camco olyimpion heater ,might be bad spelling. but there same to use.

We definitely don't use the furnace on battery power. Drains too quickly.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishin wrote:

I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries in 2009 and have been using them ever since. I think the fact that they are designed to be deep cycle, and that I rarely run them down much has helped them last so long. I often camp with electricity to plug into, but at least once a year we camp for 5 days with no issues (even better now with LED bulbs in the camper) and for 2 nights in the fall with the furnace. I never expected they would last this long, but I keep the water topped up in them and make sure not to over charge them. Having a good charger/converter in the camper is important to not over charge and also to fully charge them.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out my battery charger and see if it will suffice or not.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

Would a true 12v deep cycle battery accommodate this? If so, what brand/model do people recommend? If not, what other recommendations are there? I know of the 2 x 6v golf cart battery setup but would that be overkill for once a year? I appreciate any help!

At Costco:

One 12V Interstate deep cycle (150ah) - $239
Two 6V Interstate deep cycle (210ah) - $198

If I went with the 2 6v is there anything else that needs to be done to accommodate other than wiring them in tandem?

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how are you not satisfied with your existing battery setup? Does the battery die before the 3 days are up?

We routinely camp in non-electric campsites, and with careful use of power (similar to what you posted - lights used sparingly, refrig on propane, and using water pump), we easily last 3-4 days camping, with battery power left over.

Are you sure something else isn't draining your battery? or... as happened to us early in our "camping career", daughter was playing the CD stereo in the camper all day while we were gone... lol!

Otherwise, sounds like the 6v batteries are the way to go.

We are actually thinking of getting a small generator this year. We find ourselves going to non-electric campgrounds / parks more and more as time goes on.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My recommendation is the 2 6V set up as it gives you the most flexability. However, if your TT is a newer one that has LED lighting and you do not need the furnace 3 nights is not a problem if you use a Group 31 deep cycle battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.