RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Mount trailer tires yourself at home?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Mount trailer tires yourself at home?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago yes but especially not now! My son has a automotive shop next door to me. I get a really good discount. ??

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local tire shop charges $20 to unmount/mount/balance a tire;
At that price, it's not worth doing it myself.

Gerry

hugemoth

Bend

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The $39 tire machine I bought from Harbor Freight many years ago has saved me many hundreds of dollars over the years. I haven't paid a tire shop to mount tires for about 20 years. For balancing trailer tires I mount the wheel/tire on the hub then find the heavy spot and add weight to the opposite inside until it rotates without stopping in the same position every time.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never even think of attempting to mount any sort of car, truck or trailer tire at home, unless I had a tire machine.

I don't even do my motorcycle tires...

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a little harder than mounting a bicycle tire. Then you need to hit it with lots of air pressure/volume to seat the beads. That's the most likely time you'll get hurt.........

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KMLsquared wrote:

...I read a bunch about balancing trailer tire and came to the conclusion most are not...

Yes, most equipment trailers that travel mostly local, lower speed roads don't "need" to have tires balanced.

But... for my camper, which I tow on highways / interstates at the appropriate speed, I want them balanced. And it is usually very inexpensive, especially when included in a package price of buying new tires.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

KMLsquared wrote:

...I read a bunch about balancing trailer tire and came to the conclusion most are not...

Yes, most equipment trailers that travel mostly local, lower speed roads don't "need" to have tires balanced.

But... for my camper, which I tow on highways / interstates at the appropriate speed, I want them balanced. And it is usually very inexpensive, especially when included in a package price of buying new tires.

I have the tire shop add balancing beads when changing tires.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hugemoth wrote:

The $39 tire machine I bought from Harbor Freight many years ago has saved me many hundreds of dollars over the years. I haven't paid a tire shop to mount tires for about 20 years. For balancing trailer tires I mount the wheel/tire on the hub then find the heavy spot and add weight to the opposite inside until it rotates without stopping in the same position every time.

I do the same. When balancing the tires that way, do it when servicing the wheel bearings. Clean the bearings completely and apply some light oil. Don't install the seal and make sure there is no brake drag and it spins completely free. Mark the wheel and stud to insure it will be always replaced in the same position. You can actually get the balance of the assembly much better that the tire shop with their fancy balance machines that only balance the tire and may not locate the wheel exactly the same as your hub.

I now use an old refurbished on the vehicle balancer. I do find it humorous whenever the balance issue is discussed, because few are ever checked and few are balanced as well as the crude methods mentioned above.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the sillier questions asked recently.
What are the savings? Whatever the tire shop charges.
Can you do it at home? Sure, if it’s worth it to you to bust tires by hand.
Still have to go to the tire shop to balance the wheel unless you don’t believe in that, or are attempting to balance with beads/BBs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

hugemoth wrote:

I do the same. When balancing the tires that way, do it when servicing the wheel bearings. Clean the bearings completely and apply some light oil. Don't install the seal and make sure there is no brake drag and it spins completely free. Mark the wheel and stud to insure it will be always replaced in the same position. You can actually get the balance of the assembly much better that the tire shop with their fancy balance machines that only balance the tire and may not locate the wheel exactly the same as your hub.

I now use an old refurbished on the vehicle balancer. I do find it humorous whenever the balance issue is discussed, because few are ever checked and few are balanced as well as the crude methods mentioned above.

That’s a great story if you have literally the entire day to “mount and balance “ a set of tires.
How’s that work on your truck or car?
Your time must be worth a lot less than most to go through all that trouble.

And fwiw, balancing to the hub is an act of diminishing returns or more accurately futility.
Aside from the moment of inertia being considerably less due to the small hub/ brake diameter compared to the much larger diameter tire, it becomes useless once you rotate tires unless you re balance each rotation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Mount trailer tires yourself at home?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.