|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning Law

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edbehnke wrote:

call them

No, for two reasons, 1st you're unlikely to get a correct answer. 2nd, they are now alerted to what you might do. As said above, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cxr133 wrote:

How do I find out what the local laws are. My goggle fu cant find out which number to call and los angeles is a big city im sure ill be transferred around.

not even sure what im supoosed to be googling at this point.

nobody else has looked into this?

You go to municode and enter Los Angeles County, California. Go to Title 22 which is Zoning. But, before spend time on this, you need to know what is the Zoning Designation for your property. If you don't know how your property is zoned, you're just wasting time for nothing. If it;s still too complicated, hire a professional to do all the research.

Be aware that although there are many RV's on private property and on the streets of CA, that doesn't mean it's accepted. Many of those street RV's get towed everyday. Many private property owners are hit with code violation everyday. Everyday some neighbor get fed up with RV living in their neighborhood and rat their neighbors out. It comes down to how lucky you think you'll be.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you contact the city, ask and are told no, you have lost the chance of stealth. When Dad sold me his house part of the deal was I install full hookups so he would have a place to park each April and Oct. when we might have good weather.
Later, we decided his health was too bad for him to travel he stayed here. We set up a room in the house. His plan was, if we ever got caught he would tell the judge, "I live with my son and his family. But I often want privacy, so will spend time in the camper."

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ that's a winning ticket. cant tell you she cant live with you. nothing wrong with going into your rv, it gets sketchy when you are living in it. this bend in reality gets you around it.

* This post was edited 01/17/20 07:52am by an administrator/moderator *

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my guess is yes, since this is Cali

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The responses to the OP are quite interesting. For the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" team, I find it sad that our culture has bred many who willingly pay no attention/respect for the laws. If you go forward in breaking the law you "might" not get penalized but you will have to stop. This could indeed cause a lot of trouble for the person staying in the trailer. Also, you can't "live" in the trailer unless you hook up to a sewer line. If you follow your local building codes you will find out soon enough if this will be allowed where you live. Of course, if you are not willing to follow the codes for the sewer hook up then you can simply do what you want to do. Forget the laws and codes.

Secondly, I couldn't find any information on line, so what am I to do?
How about going down to your city hall and asking questions like we used to do just after arriving here in covered wagons? You could call and get the info but granted, the whole process of waiting to be connected is a bit trying.

I do think you can get the information you want by talking to someone. I doubt that you would have to produce information about your exact location if you want to keep "under the radar" as someone has suggested. Just because you don't agree with a regulation, it does not give you the right to ignore it. There are HOAs in my area that have a lot of rules, most of which I don't agree with. My choice is to live elsewhere. I prefer to live in the city limits and do have to put up with some regulations that I think are silly. It is a choice that I have made. I always try to be a good neighbor and to do the right thing, even if I don't always agree.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent the better part of two years in a friend's driveway in SoCal. I wasn't in your exact jurisdiction, but I can tell you about my experience.

First of all, unbeknownst to me, my friend was in a bit of war with the neighbors and inspectors before I got there. He had lived in the neighborhood all his life, and it was now in the middle of being gentrified. People didn't like his non-traditional front yard. When I got there with my van, it was just another thing for them to complain about.

The good news is, the inspectors give you a notice before they come out. And if they find something they don't like, they give you a chance to fix it. Then they set a date to come out for re-inspection. They don't technically fine you if you fix the problem, but they do charge an inspection fee, which comes down to the same thing.

They can't really prove you're living in something if you say you are not. So what they objected to about my van was the electrical cord and water hose. They said that this was an extension cord used as permanent electrical wiring, and a hose as permanent plumbing. Pretty silly since I had no intention of being there permanently. But the cure was just too unhook the electricity and the water before they came out for the next inspection. All of this of course took countless hours of phone calls. I don't mean to make it sound simple. But it did end up being successful.

But then the neighbors tried another tack. Apparently in the city where we were, it was technically illegal to park in a driveway rather than inside a garage. Of course every house on the street had one or two cars parked in the driveway. My van was not unusual in that way. But when a neighbor filed a complaint based on this obscure law, there was nothing I could do.

I pointed out to the inspector that all the other houses had cars parked in the driveway, but he just said no one had complained about them. I didn't want to get in a complaint war, so I left.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask my neighbors how they feel about what you are proposing, then call your city planning department if those neighbors don't mind. A good neighbor is pretty important.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cxr133 wrote:

How do I find out what the local laws are. My goggle fu cant find out which number to call and los angeles is a big city im sure ill be transferred around.

not even sure what im supoosed to be googling at this point.

nobody else has looked into this?

I searched based upon your address. You'll be fine.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

I spent the better part of two years in a friend's driveway in SoCal. I wasn't in your exact jurisdiction, but I can tell you about my experience.

First of all, unbeknownst to me, my friend was in a bit of war with the neighbors and inspectors before I got there. He had lived in the neighborhood all his life, and it was now in the middle of being gentrified. People didn't like his non-traditional front yard. When I got there with my van, it was just another thing for them to complain about.

Not sure what you mean regarding a “non-traditional front yard”, but having someone living in a van in the driveway has a definite negative impact on the surrounding house values. As someone who worked very hard to purchase my house, and work hard to maintain it, I’d be pretty pi$$ed if my neighbor had someone living in a van in the driveway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zoning Law
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.