|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

mtofell1 wrote:

My 5th is similar weight and my research came up with Carlisle or GY Endurance. Weight wise check your rims and if they are good for 80psi you should be good with E rated at about 2800# each. Mine stock came with D rated 2580 each stock which is cutting it a bit close IMO. The E rated also have a higher speed rating which was nice. Not that I really go over 65 but it's nice to know I'm not right up against the rating.

How do you know how much weight your rim can carry so i know if i can upgrade my 15" rim to E load?

It should be stamped on the back of rim. What size and rating are your tires you have. If your wheels are 6-bolt, with D rated tires rated at 2540, likely they can handle the E rated at 2830 lbs at 80 psi.

Jerry

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rims are 6 bolt and have maxxis load range d on them right now 65 psi.

* This post was edited 01/23/20 10:25am by an administrator/moderator *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be good to go with the E-rated, just have tire mounting shop confirm, and maybe up grade the valve stems, if going to 80 psi.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The FACT is D or E tires will take the exact inflation to carry the same load. Inflating E tires to 80 when 65 is plenty will cause worse ride, center tire wear and further stopping distance. E tires at 65 will be a stronger tire at 65 than a D at 65.

Personally with the quality of the ENDURANCE I would stick to the D tire if you are not overloading it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well my 5th wheel is 29ft and 10000lbs fully loaded and run 15" maxxis load range d psi65 and no.probelm in around 7 years on the same set of tires.

Limit4

Festus Missouri USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

Well my 5th wheel is 29ft and 10000lbs fully loaded and run 15" maxxis load range d psi65 and no.probelm in around 7 years on the same set of tires.
when I bought my new Maxxis tires I was advised to run them no more than 5 years because of going bad from the inside. That advice came from a tire dealer I trust and also from this forum.

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am replacing mine this year, my axle is slightly off as it burned 2 of the tires off, but i did take 7 years for it to happen. Called our largest axle place here and to re align it its the cost of a new axle. I am not going to bother fixing it. The way it wears the tires down, by the time they are worn down its time to replace the tires anyways.

* This post was edited 01/23/20 10:25am by an administrator/moderator *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure of your backing situation, but I have to back into my drive, from the same direction every time, when returning home. This has caused some visible wear to passenger side outside edge of tires, due to backing at a fair angle on concrete, causing scrub on that edge.

I don't think you can get D rated Endurance in your tire size, or like above poster mentioned, that would be my choice. I also agree with above mentioned wt carrying ability of D&E at the same psi. However, for scrub, and heat reasons, if changing to an E-rated tire, I still recommend adding the extra 15 psi to them.

Jerry

* This post was edited 01/23/20 10:26am by an administrator/moderator *

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

G rated tires on a 11,700# trailer? Talk about massive overkill. My trailer has an 11,500" GVWR and could have been optioned with passenger tires. I tow with 16" LRE tires and have around a 50% safety margin while towing at approximately 10,500#. I towed with Towmax tires (China bombs) for four seasons with zero issues. I'm currently running Goodyear Endurance. The tires tow the same, longevity and speed ratings are the only criteria I used.

I was running E rated Uniroyal LT tires on a 2004 Sandpiper, 12253 Cat weight, and blew 2 of those. Switched to Sailun G and no other problems no way is it overkill.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are running full 110 inflation on a rig that only needs 80 it is overkill.

If airing based on weight carry on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.