|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> 5 figure 30 foot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

What about a Super C? Big diesel, plenty of storage, and towing capacity? Jayco Seneca comes to mind

We did go look at the Jayco's If I'm remembering the right C's the driving position was really off-putting, it seemed like you were in a tunnel trying to look out. They were not that inexpensive either. Those price points were part of what made us start looking at the entry level A's.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 cents might not be worth it, but we bought a 2006 National Seabreeze. We also were at the Tampa shows this year (camped for 2 nights) and there was not a class A that even interested myself or my wife under $150k. The Nationals, while out of business since 2008, are very solid motorhomes. (Also someone mentioned Safari - another great MH) We've had ours 2 years, put on 11,000 miles, and no issues to speak of. What you save in cost by buying a 10-12 year old gasser you can use for repairs and upgrades. We are very happy. Oh, and it's 33.5 foot with 2 slides. (OK, maybe this was just worth 1 cent....)

Al

angler

WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever RV I've had I was looking for the next one[emoticon]
I would buy a used gasser class A like tiffin, Newmar or other good quality brands. I too don't like the depreciation. I'd rather put in 5000 dollars in fixing something on mine instead of having the 5000 disappear in depreciation (or more). Just seems like I'm getting something. I know money is money.
Now I'm looking at a used pusher, but I'm taking my time and pretty sure what I want. Just want to get a good price because I know that it will need tires, batteries, windows fixed, etc,ect,ect. plus depreciation. Even in an older coach just not as much.
My wife could drive mine if she had to. She is a good driver and in a car she doesn't mind it. I'm not sure she would drive any rv even though she thinks she might.
I just have to remind her I don't want to drive more than 6 hours at a time. I've driven pushers with air ride. Could probably drive them farther, but I know they would be easier to drive 6 hours.
Motorhomes are expensive to maintain. Much more than your current setup, but it is the best way to travel IMHO

* This post was edited 01/21/20 07:21am by angler *

2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the opinions and insights.

DW has a 30' number in mind both because she thinks shorter is easier to drive and because she heard 30' is a common max length in some parts of the US. Actually along the NorthEast our jumbo length rig (HDT with triple axle hauler) always found a spot for rent. The only time length ever hurt us was trying to back into a driveway on a narrow residential road with soft shoulders, ditches and two brick mailboxes in very bad places...

We kind of stumbled into the lower cost gas motorhomes vs a DP because all the DP were longer than DW liked. I'm wondering what the shortest DP might be and if that is a better option.

PS, angler - HDT are not cheap to maintain.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With very rare exceptions, under 36' diesel pushers are rare.

Yes, there are a few, but generally, they handle "less well" than the longer ones on exactly the same chassis, as the 100% of the difference in length is taken out of the WHEELBASE! Short wheelbase/overall length do not handle as well.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MURPHY55347

Savage, MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked for 10 years in order to buy our first/last MH. We now have a Winnebago Vista LX 27N. It is now part of the Adventurer line. Gas model just a shade under 30’. So much outside storage we only use half of it. Large bathroom and huge shower. Great sized kitchen for those that like to cook. Both driver and passengers seats swivel around to face a 50” tv and are quite comfortable. For 2 people we have not found a better floor plan.

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MURPHY55347 wrote:

We now have a Winnebago Vista LX 27N. . Gas model just a shade under 30’. ..For 2 people we have not found a better floor plan.

Googling the Winnie I see it looks a lot like the Fleetwood Flair 28 and 29' layouts that first got our attention as contenders. I thought we walked through the Winnies too but I'm struggling to remember their smaller offerings. Maybe I was in RV-overload at that point and everything blurred.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davelinde wrote:

Thanks for the opinions and insights.

DW has a 30' number in mind both because she thinks shorter is easier to drive and because she heard 30' is a common max length in some parts of the US. Actually along the NorthEast our jumbo length rig (HDT with triple axle hauler) always found a spot for rent. The only time length ever hurt us was trying to back into a driveway on a narrow residential road with soft shoulders, ditches and two brick mailboxes in very bad places...

We kind of stumbled into the lower cost gas motorhomes vs a DP because all the DP were longer than DW liked. I'm wondering what the shortest DP might be and if that is a better option.

PS, angler - HDT are not cheap to maintain.

the smallest DP's I know of are the Tiffin Allegro breeze (come in 31 and 33') And the Fleetwood excursion in 33'. The excursion is no longer in production.

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

the smallest DP's I know of are the Tiffin Allegro breeze (come in 31 and 33')

We had not wandered to the Tiffins because I assumed they were well out of our price target. Looking at them on line though they do look nice...

Now I'm wondering what I could assume for depreciation and cost of re-sale. Skimming listings I don't see these falling under 100K until they are about 7 years old? I see new MSRP around a 1/4mil (not happening). DW has a 60K number in her head and I'm thinking 90(ish)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davelinde wrote:

way2roll wrote:

the smallest DP's I know of are the Tiffin Allegro breeze (come in 31 and 33')

We had not wandered to the Tiffins because I assumed they were well out of our price target. Looking at them on line though they do look nice...

Now I'm wondering what I could assume for depreciation and cost of re-sale. Skimming listings I don't see these falling under 100K until they are about 7 years old? I see new MSRP around a 1/4mil (not happening). DW has a 60K number in her head and I'm thinking 90(ish)

Tiffin's are nice. Good quality though. I'd actually put Tiffin over Newmar, especially given that Winnie owns Newmar now. My guess is that if you want to stay in the $60-90k range and of newer than 10 years and 30' - ish, your can definitely narrow it to a gasser. Good news is I think most manufacturers have a small Class A and have since 2013-2015 ish. Thor started the whole 30' Class A with the ACE around 2012, all of them quickly followed suit once they saw how many Thor sold. Heck the FR3 was a direct ripoff from the floor plan to the drop down bunk to the grill, exactly the same as the ACE.

Another note, a 35' MH isn't much different driving than a 30'. Actually the bigger one probably handles better. Smaller MH's have short wheel bases and a lot of unsprung weight. You have cameras and a spotter to help with backing etc, mind the turn radius. But driving down the road, won't make any difference, except probably a better ride. As far as campsites, you'd be hard pressed to find a place you couldn't camp with a 35 footer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> 5 figure 30 foot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.