|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

My 6.0 does just fine for me.

Yep,it's a great engine as well as the Ford 6.2 gas..Matched with these new transmissions they perform great with a TC on..I used my son's 6.0 HD 2500 all the time..Pulled a 30ft 8500# TT all over these hills around here..It did great..

I never have understood this posting hp/tq of a pickup like it was a '56 chevy/327 and still in high school..LOL..It's a pickup and any of these engines will work just great with any of the TC's out there..

Of course, ‘56 Chevies didn’t come with 327s... those were six years later.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only wonder how the new 7.3 would carry a 4950# camper up and over the Sierra’s Hwy 80...This is the BIG unknown to me...

3 tons

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 wrote:

jefe 4x4 here.
I have not been on here for a few years, but am on here to add to my extensive research for a talk I'm presenting at the Truck Camper Adventure Rally next week, and a subsequent article for the on-line magazine.

Good to see you back Jefe, please stop in more often I miss your wisdom and advice from years of actual experience!

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

I can only wonder how the new 7.3 would carry a 4950# camper up and over the Sierra’s Hwy 80...This is the BIG unknown to me...

3 tons

?? Umm, for sure as good as any gas pickup and likely a little better than all of them, by the numbers.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

3 tons

I have no complaints about how well my 6.0L gasser did hauling my 4000 lb camper + my ATV and trailer, another 1200 lbs.

Yes, a diesel would have gone faster and that's OK.

With where the new gas engines, Ford's 7.3 and GMs 6.6 I would never consider a diesel, but then I never have.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 - thanks for the info

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up my custom orders Ford F-350 4x4 dually with the new 7.3 liter gas engine!

My 2013 RAM 350 4x4 diesel with 130,000 miles will be leaving me on Tuesday.

My reasons for going back to gas:
Diesels are for pulling, gassers are for hauling cargo in the bed.
Diesel maintenance costs are exhorbantent.
Lost the turbo at 110K, dealer cost would have been $6,000! I got a rebuilt put in for $3,000.
Really hard to find good diesel mechanics...
No more carrying diesel additives, including DEF!

My cargo capacity in the old 2013 was 5,250lbs
The new Ford's capacity is 5,916 lbs!
With that capacity I am hoping I will need no aftermarket suspension equipment.

I am a firm believer in low rear end ratio's, the RAM had a 4.10 and I got the 4.30's in the new Ford. You are not buying this kind of truck if you are worried about gas mileage. You will regret getting higher gearing when city stop and go driving or up mountain passes. Just not worth wishful thinking of getting better highway mileage.

Drives like a dream, it has a 1.000 mile break in, so no truck camper for the rest of the month.

Manual says it can run on 87 octane BUT will perform under load and hot weather better if running 91 octane.

Darn thing has a 3" trailer receiver on it, I have never seen on so big. Had to order a cool adapter from E-Trailer so I can put my bike rack on it.

I got the camper package, but of course the dealer can't find the camper certification paper, they have contacted Ford to get another.

I'll start my own thread after I get the truck broke in and the camper in the bed and let you know how this truck is performing.

Cheers,
Eric

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric, where's the like button?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egarant wrote:

Sweet new truck I'm sure, and comparing the rear suspension of 2 totally different trucks to each other is not apples to apples, but this is part of the misconception.
Camper puts most/all it's static weight on the rear axle, right?
Engine puts most/all of it's weight on the front axle, right?
Payload = gvwr - curb weight. Right?
If you have same gvwr and 700lbs more "payload" due to a lighter engine, that doesn't help the actual payload of the rear axle where the additional load is applied.
Kayteg will say its because the Ford Al bed is 500lbs lighter, lol, but you understand the principle.

Nothing against your truck, but it's really about how stiff the rear springs are. Swapping a heavy engine for a lighter one doesn't really help the situation at all in the real world.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egarant wrote:

I picked up my custom orders Ford F-350 4x4 dually with the new 7.3 liter gas engine!

My 2013 RAM 350 4x4 diesel with 130,000 miles will be leaving me on Tuesday.

My reasons for going back to gas:
Diesels are for pulling, gassers are for hauling cargo in the bed.
Diesel maintenance costs are exhorbantent.
Lost the turbo at 110K, dealer cost would have been $6,000! I got a rebuilt put in for $3,000.
Really hard to find good diesel mechanics...
No more carrying diesel additives, including DEF!

I am a firm believer in low rear end ratio's, the RAM had a 4.10 and I got the 4.30's in the new Ford. You are not buying this kind of truck if you are worried about gas mileage. You will regret getting higher gearing when city stop and go driving or up mountain passes. Just not worth wishful thinking of getting better highway mileage.

Drives like a dream, it has a 1.000 mile break in, so no truck camper for the rest of the month.

Manual says it can run on 87 octane BUT will perform under load and hot weather better if running 91 octane.

Darn thing has a 3" trailer receiver on it, I have never seen on so big. Had to order a cool adapter from E-Trailer so I can put my bike rack on it.

I got the camper package, but of course the dealer can't find the camper certification paper, they have contacted Ford to get another.

I'll start my own thread after I get the truck broke in and the camper in the bed and let you know how this truck is performing.

Cheers,
Eric

That is fantastic, I’m looking forward to your report, particularly info relating to climbing the mountain passes...

3 tons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.