RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The Verdic is in, New Ford 7.3 V-8 Gas mpg not so Great

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> The Verdic is in, New Ford 7.3 V-8 Gas mpg not so Great

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google:

BSFC: Brake Specific Fuel Consumption

Carnot Efficiency Cycle

These are the two main fundamental engineering terms (there are more) which MUST be improved before you can expect to see any significant improvements in overall MPG. As far as I can tell, the new V8 makes no attempt to improve these over the V10. Although it has less moving parts, it has more cubic inches than the V10 so unless there are improvements in efficiency, expect no better MPG. A direct drive transmission is most efficient, adding gears adds drag which beyond a certain point will reduce fuel mileage since it adds complexity. IMO, the new V8 is about cost saving, not fuel saving.

Chum lee

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Think I will wait for real world results for a average from owners.
These guys are a joke to me.
Real results from owners will give a good average mpg.

X2. These 'tests' are usually a waste of time. The true MPG will come from real owners using the trucks daily for a variety of tasks.

lisolar

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Yes it is a fast mpg test and not a long run test but it does show that the 7.3 is still a gas hog, even if it was a better day and driving longer still appears it wont break the 7 mpg range.

I have 16-25 MPG towing my trailer. Does it means my engine more efficient? No. It means my trailer is small.

With gas engines we are talking about 0.1..5% difference in efficiency, not 20..100% difference in loads. To find which engine is better should be pure "scientific" comparison, otherwise it is wind, speed and other 10+ factors.

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

7.3 V8 gudzilla EcoBoost 600hp!!

Hell, in the Ford GT they get 640hp from the 3.5.

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That FLT guy should go back to Berwyn and reopen his Bohemian restaurant. Roast pork and dumplings, yum.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Sometimes I just shake my head on these. I know there is no perfect test, but you should at least test under the same conditions. Which they didn't. They mention a couple times on the video that they were fighting the wind when they were with trailer in the Ford.

Also, I'm not sure they are even using the same test track. The towing test are on I76 east. That non-towing trip with the Ford wasn't on that stretch of road - it is on the diagonal from Longmont to Boulder - not an interstate, there is more traffic and stop lights. Is that the same road they used for the unloaded Chevy test?

Not defending the 7.3 blindly, but we really need to get some real-world test results before anyone makes a judgment, good or bad, about the MPG of the 7.3.

Hold on now...don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. [emoticon]

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Hedgehog

Fairhaven, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, who uses cruise control when towing a trailer and expects to get optimum fuel economy. Secondly, the truck is no where near broken in.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 12:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would anyone expect an engine, although newer, with 2 less cylinders but a larger displacement, to get noticeably better fuel efficiency? Especially so in something with the aerodynamics of a brick like a heavy motorhome. No such thing as a free lunch.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Why would anyone expect an engine, although newer, with 2 less cylinders but a larger displacement, to get noticeably better fuel efficiency? Especially so in something with the aerodynamics of a brick like a heavy motorhome. No such thing as a free lunch.

Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well. I had a chevy 454 in a 3500 Savanna Van back a few years ago, and my gas mileage never was above 10mpg. It went down to 7-8 when I was towing my 12,000 pound trailer. There is no free lunch. As someone in an earlier post said, good gas mileage and RV should never be used in the same sentence.

Al

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well. I had a chevy 454 in a 3500 Savanna Van back a few years ago, and my gas mileage never was above 10mpg. It went down to 7-8 when I was towing my 12,000 pound trailer. There is no free lunch. As someone in an earlier post said, good gas mileage and RV should never be used in the same sentence.

Al

It's called technology. Replacing a 20 year old motor with something new should get better mileage. Just like when the V-10 replaced the 460, more power and better mileage. Otherwise all it is, is a new motor with nothing to be said for it.
Hopefully we get some real world reports and not some information from a couple guys I wouldn't trust driving a pedal car.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> The Verdic is in, New Ford 7.3 V-8 Gas mpg not so Great
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.