|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of keeping DW happy, we spend a lot of time deciding what camper to upgrade to. She wanted something bigger and I wanted to keep my truck and Northern Lite which are payed for. So in a way I won we decided that on long trips about every 3 or 4 days she could pick a hotel to stay at.[emoticon]

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of recommendations for buying a used camper or even a new one. First as with any RV, consider the size you need and want. Big RVs always look better and more comfortable. That leads many to buy an RV as big as a mobile home and hardly any easier to drive and handle.

After years of use, I found I did not need a dry bath. When I take a shower I keep the water on low and the walls of the wet bath hardly get much water. A squeegie, 30 seconds, and maybe a rag are all it takes to get the shower almost totally dry. A learned I did not need or want slides. Again consider the smallest camper you really need and how much you may or may not want to actually travel. Second, I found a really good, low risk way to buy a used camper. I got mine on consignment from a reliable local RV dealer. Yes, they do exist. The dealer promised an RV with no issues because the seller agreed to fix anything that was wrong. The RV was perfect when I bought it and the 1 year guarantee covered a vent that broke later on.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very sure you want such a big thing.
Reconsider getting the smallest TC you can live with.

Have you looked at the Big Foot and other fiberglass shell campers?

Big and roomy and having too much storage space is nice, but you pay for that on the other end. Lots of storage means you will not find that thing until you go to sell the camper and clean it out..

Big means more difficult to handle, drive, park and all these things compound themselves when towing, towing anything big or small.

You will need to expect some blowouts of tires, though dually less than single.

mpg? haha, you cannot even think about that at this point.

Backing up a trailer is no fun. Is the pontoon wide enough you can see it in the mirrors? (I have a trailer so narrow that I cannot see it until is almost jack-knifes).
But you will have pontoon no matter what…

Are you a couple that lives inside or that sits outside and just sleeps and cooks inside?
Except when stuck inside on bad weather days, consider that inside is just the base station for being outside…

The bigger that camper is the less likely you are to just pop it on and go for a trip according to opinions of some owners. or will you leave it on all year???

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgm1956, welcome to this board and forum. First, know your vehicle's payload (carrying) and towing capacities. This will be an upfront filter for what you can/should be looking at.

Second, the right layout and features/options are very important. Some things you can add or modify but the wrong physical layout will be like a constant stone in your shoe.

Third, be selfish and insist on a used unit that is in excellent or near excellent condition. Don't compromise here as it will likely come back to bite you. Patience is the key and remember, there is always another one to look at around the corner.

Good luck and let us know how this story ends.

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Big and roomy and having too much storage space is nice, but you pay for that on the other end. Lots of storage means you will not find that thing until you go to sell the camper and clean it out..

Big means more difficult to handle, drive, park and all these things compound themselves when towing, towing anything big or small.

Backing up a trailer is no fun. Is the pontoon wide enough you can see it in the mirrors? (I have a trailer so narrow that I cannot see it until is almost jack-knifes).

Are you a couple that lives inside or that sits outside and just sleeps and cooks inside?
Except when stuck inside on bad weather days, consider that inside is just the base station for being outside…

The bigger that camper is the less likely you are to just pop it on and go for a trip according to opinions of some owners. or will you leave it on all year???

Obviously the above is painted with black paint and you will find lot of variations.
When I camp mostly in good weather, I put 30,000 miles driving with biggest campers on the market.
None of the above happen and you can see my mpg in footnote.
We use TC for comfort and getting stuck in small one for few rainy days can simply suck.
Sure the 360 cameras on new truck are great option when backing or turning and I transfer the tailgate camera on back of the camper to continue the comfort.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you're getting lots of opinions and some real "convictions" to chew over.
Take some of this stuff with a grain of salt.
Remember, some people's opinions turn into convictions perhaps easier than they should.....but they're still just opinions.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

We use TC for comfort and getting stuck in small one for few rainy days can simply suck.

Clearly we are all different. If the weather is really bad, I might take a nap, read, do some computer work or clean and organize for a couple of hours. Beyond that I do not let the weather stop me. I have some decent rain gear and can spend a great day outdoors even on those rare days when it rains constantly. I also found that most TCs with slides give more leg room but no more storage or anything else to add to the comfort.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take all the opinions in and sort through them for what fits you. What's true for some is false for others, and what matters to others is nothing for some.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Do you own a truck camper?? Just curious.

Trailers are easy to back up. Some people can and some people can't.

And a big slide in camper is just as easy to load as a small slide in camper so I don't understand why you would be less likely to just pop a big camper in than a smaller camper.

I had a 9' camper and now an 11' foot camper. I find the bigger camper no more difficult to drive and handle than the smaller one.

And why expect tires to blow out. That seems more like a rare occurrence than something to expect.

Too much storage in a truck camper?? Is there really such a thing as too much storage?

I would much prefer to have too much than not enough.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The campers in your original post will ALL put the truck well over the GVWR.

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.