|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying a used camper, the better camper is usually the better camper. As in: is it well kept, does it have any pre-existing damage/repairs, does everything work as it should.
Climb inside and try to picture how you would spend a chilly, rainy day inside the camper.
The market for good used campers is pretty small. Production figures are not huge to begin with. Be prepared to look at a number of different offerings, drive a good distance in the process, and buy what suits you best. The really good offerings are usually not on the market for very long, unfortunately.
The weight aspect, with a trailer, has been discussed to death and you are aware of that.
I wish you luck and Happy Camping!

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

My main advise with TC shopping >>> enter the shower, close the curtain and check if you can turn around without knocking anything down.
Then sit on the throne and make sure your legs are comfortable.

That's actually some pretty good advise.

Take a flashlight and open every cupboard and closet and check every little nook and cranny for signs of any water leaks.

I like the side entrance. I would not want to have to climb up a flight of stairs to get into my camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Side entrance was good advantage before Torklift come with Stow'go bracket.
With new bracket I rearranged the top step to be level with bumper pad and now it is pretty convenient while pulling or pushing the steps take about 5 seconds.
Side entrance sacrificed too much interior space and the folding side step on Lance was clumsy.
Than have seen side entrance on Host, where mounted on 4WD made it "stairway to heaven".

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I would not want a stairway to get into my camper.
But that's just me.

* This post was edited 01/24/20 09:03am by specta *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgm1956 wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Maybe it’s the way you worded your response but to be clear, 3500 doesn’t automatically mean dually and it is a super important detail when it comes to truck campers.

Are there many used units to choose from out there? Chances are you’ll hear good and bad about all 3 models. Personally I’d choose whichever one is in the best shape if your choices are limited.

We tow with a 950 model camper but the trailer tongue has diamond plate which works for a step when connected. Also the door is offset to one side some which allows for a small step ladder (Little Jumbo) to sit nicely along side. I wouldn’t rule out a rear door automatically.

To be clear, my truck is a dually. I know about tire capacity and tow weight. I know I will be towards the upper end of the capacity of the truck. I've hauled enough hay and cattle to understand that. The pontoon boat is going to be an 18 ft. As far as availability, there are enough out there to choose from if you are patient. I appreciate your input.

bgm1956, welcome to the forum!
Please don't mind the antagonism and negativity. It seems to be a thing with some of the readership of this forum, but there's alot of good info to be had here as well.
And to confirm, as you are already aware, you have enough truck for pretty much any commercially made TC out there.
I can only speak from experience on Arctic Fox campers. Have had 2 of them now, from the same era you're considering. Had an 05 (first year aluminum frame, thought that was an important quality at the time) that we bought in 2013 and now an 03 (wood frame).
My observations are as such. I have yet to realize any advantages of the aluminum framed unit. The older one appears just as solid and not any heavier.
Age wise, I believe it's about 95% how well the camper was treated and how heavy of use it's seen and 5% age of the camper when determining reliability (at least for the AF campers). Both of ours have been virtually issue free. However both of them were only and are only used recreationally and don't have 2000 nights of use or similar.
Have had no issues with any of the major components in either one and have had the 03 since 2014. It does however get stored indoors when not in use and was stored under a carport for many years prior to us buying it.
The "features" of a newer AF appear to be virtually the same as the older ones. I don't see a marked improvement or newer equipment in the newer ones. Stove, fridge, water system, heater, etc are all the same or similar.
Advantages I like about the AF campers:
-Large capacity tanks and propane.
- Full wall slide = more room
- So far appear to be of very good quality
- Good use of space for storage space
- Full features (real oven, big fridge, etc)
- Ducted heat helps keep tanks from freezing

Disadvantages:
- Definitively on the heavy end , but it's not like I'm haulin it on MY back, the truck is, so not a concern for me.
- The wet bath in ours is too small (but it's a bathroom, which is better than no bathroom, so...)

Good luck shopping for them. The biggest things I'd look for in an older camper is one that is lightly used and has not been out in the weather constantly.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

At this point I don't see us doing serious boondocking.

Then any of the ones you mentioned in your post will suit your needs..With any RV, the floorplan is the key to happiness.Which ever of the three is more appealing to you and your wife,that should be the choice..

All three are great campers with a good history if the buyer does his part..I am a Lance guy just because the ones I have owned I have never had any issue with them but of the three you listed,for our needs the AF-1150 would be our choice..Your wants and needs in a TC may differ..

Good luck in your choice..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just mention that if you get a newer Arctic Fox with a Fox landing it nicely gets around the problem of the rear exit and pulling a trailer.

bgm1956

Independence MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

At this point I don't see us doing serious boondocking.

Then any of the ones you mentioned in your post will suit your needs..With any RV, the floorplan is the key to happiness.Which ever of the three is more appealing to you and your wife,that should be the choice..

All three are great campers with a good history if the buyer does his part..I am a Lance guy just because the ones I have owned I have never had any issue with them but of the three you listed,for our needs the AF-1150 would be our choice..Your wants and needs in a TC may differ..

Good luck in your choice..

Who said my opinion mattered? If it was up to me, we would buy a smaller one with no slides but the wife won't hear of it.

You know how it goes, if the wife isn't happy, no one is!

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an 1140 and it was pretty roomy on the inside, but it was HEAVY!! Put my Dodge 1,100lbs over sticker but well under axle and tires. I should have never got rid of that rig...but you know "happy wife"...lol

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2006 AF1150 we bought a couple years ago. We then bought a 2007 Lance 915 so selling the AF. AF is roomy, just wanted something a little smaller.

camping buddies - my husband,">
17 yr boy,18 yr girl,19 yr girl">
American Eskimo - Baby
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.