|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, my TC hides my trailer, so very difficult to back up. Trailer will be too angled to correct before I even see it pop into view. A big wide fat trailer that is wider than everything should be easier to back up.
Yes, big TCs will have more storage than small ones, and plenty of storage to lose many things.
Put a lot of weight on a tire and drive it in the summer and the tire will easily reach over 120 psi, this is from the weight, and a blowout could occur easier than if just driving as a passenger vehicle. Proper tires properly inflated will mostly prevent this, but why think it is not possible?
All the opinions expressed in each post are opinions and experience of each person posting; this is the value of a forum - that readers get varied opinions to consider.It is not a courtroom to decide which opinion is correct or more valid, no need to defend your opinion or attack others.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

zulu52

Cypress, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Yes, my TC hides my trailer, so very difficult to back up. Trailer will be too angled to correct before I even see it pop into view. A big wide fat trailer that is wider than everything should be easier to back up.
Yes, big TCs will have more storage than small ones, and plenty of storage to lose many things.
Put a lot of weight on a tire and drive it in the summer and the tire will easily reach over 120 psi, this is from the weight, and a blowout could occur easier than if just driving as a passenger vehicle. Proper tires properly inflated will mostly prevent this, but why think it is not possible?
All the opinions expressed in each post are opinions and experience of each person posting; this is the value of a forum - that readers get varied opinions to consider.It is not a courtroom to decide which opinion is correct or more valid, no need to defend your opinion or attack others.

If you have a trailer you can't see, simply carry a 10' piece of PVC and tie red flags to each end. When it comes time to back up, lay the PVC across the end of the trailer. You will be able to see it.
If you are hauling a trailer, you can find a space for a piece of 1/2" PVC.
Zulu

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zulu52 wrote:

ajriding wrote:

If you have a trailer you can't see, simply carry a 10' piece of PVC and tie red flags to each end. When it comes time to back up, lay the PVC across the end of the trailer. You will be able to see it.
Zulu

I love this idea! I'm currently shopping for a truck camper and was wondering the best way to solve this problem as I'll frequently have a small enclosed trailer for my motorcycle.

Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with a camper. It is easy to get sold on a large heavy one at the RV show. Great appeal for towing a boat or horse trailer. Don't go too big. I found driving with one even on an F-350 was not good in the mountains on windy roads, especially those banked the wrong way. It was difficult in the wind.

Too small for a long trip and too much trouble for a short trip. They are a compromise.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zulu52 wrote:

Zulu

Riley01 wrote:

I love this idea! I'm currently shopping for a truck camper and was wondering the best way to solve this problem as I'll frequently have a small enclosed trailer for my motorcycle.

Thanks,
Rick

Only way the pipe trick will work is of the trailer has a flat roof, and you devise some way to secure said pipe, otherwise it will never stay put as you are maneuvering around.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgm1956 wrote:

I currently own a 2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 with a Duramax. I am currently considering the following campers. Lance 1172, Host Everest and Arctic Fox 1150.

I know the Arctic Fox will put that era of GM truck over the GVWR. The other campers probably will too.

Heck, my lightly loaded AF 811 puts my 2009 Chevy Duramax dually over the GVWR, and the 811 is the smallest camper in the AF model line-up nowadays.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try googling "trailer flags for backing up".

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford 360 cameras with trailer mode makes it all child's play.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

zulu52 wrote:

Zulu

Riley01 wrote:

Thanks,
Rick

Only way the pipe trick will work is of the trailer has a flat roof, and you devise some way to secure said pipe, otherwise it will never stay put as you are maneuvering around.

I can think of about 10 different ways to affix a tattletale to the back of most any trailer. Not the least of which is duck tape.
We are talking temporary, right?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.