RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Who can help me pick out a 600 watt solar sytem?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Who can help me pick out a 600 watt solar sytem?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mromberg

escondido,ca,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok gang.......I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge. I also would want a battery monitor included.

So....would anyone be willing to help create a parts list, preferably on amazon, to include the cables, fuses, etc? Perhaps it could also serve as a starting point for others in my same boat....overwhelmed by all the choices.

Budget ~$1000 - $1200

Thanks!

Lwiddis

Diaz Lake Campground, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your budget may need some augumentation. WindyNation's 400 watt system is $720 but you'd also need two extra panels at a hundred each. With wire, connectors, DiCor etc. I believe you'd be over. IMO 400 battery amp hours would be on the low side too.

https://www.windynation.com/MPPT-Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits/Windy-Nation-Inc/WindyNation-WNI-400-Watt-4pcs-100W-Solar-Panel-Kit-Trakmax-MPPT-40-A-Solar-Charge-Controller/-/342?p=YzE9NDc=

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Victron Energy Battery Monitoris one of the best you can buy. There are several models, depending on what "additional" bells and whistles you want.

On the panels them selves, the first thing you need to decide is what physical size. "Standard" home panels are 2m x 1m (over 6' by over 3') and 72 cells. These are difficult to handle it you are on a roof. You can easily find 1/2 size panels, 1m x 1m and 36 cells, easier to handle but more connections. The other consideration is monocrystalline vs. polycrystalline. Mono are more efficient but cost more. 200W per square meter is consider "good".

I do not have enough experience to recommend brands beyond the battery monitor. For the charge controller, you probably can not go wrong with any of the name brands.

At the moment, the Chinese built panels have a large tariff. Some distributors are getting around this by purchasing from suppliers in other parts of Asia. There are some solar panels being built in South Korea.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mromberg wrote:

I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge.

This is a classic case of a RV manufacture trying to "save a buck" !

Four 6v golf cart batteries (size GC2) will give you about 420 AH of storage and well likely last longer and are the same price or less than 12V "dual purpose" batteries. AGM batteries are nice (zero maintenance) but expensive.

Personally, I would want an inverter/charger/auto transfer switch instead of a converter/charger and stand alone inverter. Maybe a bit more expensive, but easier to wire and MUCH easier to use !

If you plan to boondock a lot, a true DC refrigerator is more efficient than a residential unit. You probably will not find one as large and if you are on "shore power" most of the time you are camping, it does not matter.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is not what you asked for but I thought I might throw it out there.On of our members,a moderator, had a system installed by This Guy and was very pleased with what he got. The price is a bit over your budget but that is the installed price.

Link to the thread mentioned here

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

mromberg

escondido,ca,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I know this is not what you asked for but I thought I might throw it out there.On of our members,a moderator, had a system installed by This Guy and was very pleased with what he got. The price is a bit over your budget but that is the installed price.

I'll give it a read.

mromberg

escondido,ca,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

mromberg wrote:

I'm trying to put together a 600 watt solar system for my soon to be purchased 2017 Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The coach is equipped with 4 100ah 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. It also has a Samsung residential fridge.

This is a classic case of a RV manufacture trying to "save a buck" !

Four 6v golf cart batteries (size GC2) will give you about 420 AH of storage and well likely last longer and are the same price or less than 12V "dual purpose" batteries. AGM batteries are nice (zero maintenance) but expensive.

Personally, I would want an inverter/charger/auto transfer switch instead of a converter/charger and stand alone inverter. Maybe a bit more expensive, but easier to wire and MUCH easier to use !

If you plan to boondock a lot, a true DC refrigerator is more efficient than a residential unit. You probably will not find one as large and if you are on "shore power" most of the time you are camping, it does not matter.

I'm going to give these batteries a test before I change them out. But, yes, AGM's are on the list.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked on amazon a 600 solar kit from Renogy is $1446.00 so you may have to increase your budget. Or buy china solar panels.

Crushedstang50

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This kit is usually about $850 on amazon but is on sale for $530 right now. Buy two more panels to get you to the 600 watts and your good. I have been watching it for almost a year on amazon. This is the cheapest I have seen it.

Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid Solar Premium Kit with Monocrystalline Solar Panel and 40A MPPT Rover Controller/Mounting Z Brackets/MC4 Adaptor Kit/Tray Cables Fuse set /MC4 fuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKT56Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_yO3kEb039328N

Hopefully the link works......I have not posted a link before!

2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

mromberg

escondido,ca,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mromberg wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I'll give it a read.

This looks promising. I sent the guy an email as his installed prices seem fair.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Who can help me pick out a 600 watt solar sytem?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.