|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Dinghy Towing guide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone tell me why some vehicles that can be flat towed are not listed such as the Honda CRV AWD auto? Are there other AWD auto trans vehicles that aren't listed or is this pay for print?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0000/CR0000O00176A.pdf

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I clicked on link, and it does not indicated what year of CRV it is for. From the diagram of the car, it is for a much older, before 2011 models and the fact that a manual transmission is available. Our 2012 has different instructions and they changed again beginning in 2015 when the CVT transmission was introduced.
That link only applies to certain years of CRVs.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beverley&Ken wrote:

I clicked on ***Link Removed***, and it does not indicated what year of CRV it is for. From the diagram of the car, it is for a much older, before 2011 models and the fact that a manual transmission is available. Our 2012 has different instructions and they changed again beginning in 2015 when the CVT transmission was introduced.
That link only applies to certain years of CRVs.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I found that when searching for a 2016 spec. I also found this below. Maybe others have some info?

https://vehq.com/flat-tow-honda-cr-v/

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's my understanding that 2014 was the last year you could flat tow a CRV, like Ken said because of the change to a CVT transmission in 2015. Those transmissions are becoming increasingly used in all makes and models and is making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee"

Ford has 9 vehicles that can be flat towed this year without modification. I am sure other brands let you flat tow not just jeep.

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

accsys wrote:

It's my understanding that 2014 was the last year you could flat tow a CRV, like Ken said because of the change to a CVT transmission in 2015. Those transmissions are becoming increasingly used in all makes and models and is making it difficult to find anything to tow other than a Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

Thanks, maybe 2015 is the last CRV? I'm not sure your other suggestions are credible, noting the guides that are available that show Dinghy's from many others that can be flat towed.

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We flat tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD with an automatic trans. Is very comfortable. 88 year old MIL likes riding in it, says it is easy to get in and out of. Leather seats, all the bells and whistles. 3.5L EcoBoost gets decent gas mileage as long as you drive reasonably. I have a heavy foot and still get mid 20's with mix of around town and highway.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

We flat tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD with an automatic trans. Is very comfortable. 88 year old MIL likes riding in it, says it is easy to get in and out of. Leather seats, all the bells and whistles. 3.5L EcoBoost gets decent gas mileage as long as you drive reasonably. I have a heavy foot and still get mid 20's with mix of around town and highway.

Thanks, I know Ford makes several vehicles that can be flat towed, I just have trouble thinking of myself driving one! We've had a "sport" SUV before and the ride was a bit firmer than I wanted. I'm looking for the luxury type, maybe a Caddi or a Lincoln SUV, which can be flat towed? I would also like the interior to be quiet if at all possible due to the terrible roads in Northern CA. Don't get me wrong about cars I also drive a 2016 Corvette Z51, it's very firm but it's surprisingly quiet after adding some additional sound deadening and insulation.

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.”

Who isn’t? lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Dinghy Towing guide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.