RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Dinghy Towing guide

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

 > Dinghy Towing guide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gnarley

Somewhere

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

My 2015 Terrain SLE, AWD w/automatic tows just fine. I am averaging 22 to 25 mpg per tank full. My son has the Denali version of the same year and it is decked out with leather and all the spiffy stuff. I think there was a Caddy version also that year.

Hope this helps.


Thanks, however, the Terrain is not the same as the Acadia

Gnarley

Somewhere

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Newer transmissions tend to have lubrication pumps. The older/crude transmissions used a splash gear to sling oil. Towing a newer vehicle can cause damage due to lack of fluid circulation.

Also, pay CLOSE attention to those vehicles that can be flat towed. MOST have limitations on speed, and distance. Very common to see "under 50 MPH, and no further than 50 miles".

There is another option. Check with Remco Industries. They've been around a LONG time, and offer solutions for many vehicles. They can add driveshaft or CV joint disconnect, or an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. Obviously the pump would be a much cheaper/easier option.

No affiliation with them, but I've looked into their services before buying the Jeep.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

What's unique about the Jeep is it has a true transfer case. To tow the vehicle, the transfer case is put in neutral, and the A/T in park. No miles are recorded on the odometer. I do have to leave (an unchipped) key in the ignition to unlock the steering - newer models don't have a locking column.

Good luck!


Thanks, I'm a former ASE certified master technician. I am aware many newer vehicles have internal pumps, but thanks for pointing that out anyway. I'm not a FCA fan and don't want one. I've specifically zeroed in on the Acadia and hope other members who have one will respond.

2manytoyz

Central FL

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gnarley wrote:



Thanks, I'm a former ASE certified master technician. I am aware many newer vehicles have internal pumps, but thanks for pointing that out anyway. I'm not a FCA fan and don't want one. I've specifically zeroed in on the Acadia and hope other members who have one will respond.


If you would have checked out the Remco link, you would have seen the following:

2019 Acadia AWD with I-4 (2.5L): Must be towed using a trailer

2019 Acadia AWD with V6 (3.6L):
It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.
Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes.
Use of a shield mounted in front of vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission.

This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.

Hopefully others with that specific model will chime in. If not, I'd recommend creating a new topic, with that model in the title.


Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/


Gnarley

Somewhere

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Gnarley wrote:



Thanks, I'm a former ASE certified master technician. I am aware many newer vehicles have internal pumps, but thanks for pointing that out anyway. I'm not a FCA fan and don't want one. I've specifically zeroed in on the Acadia and hope other members who have one will respond.


If you would have checked out the Remco link, you would have seen the following:

2019 Acadia AWD with I-4 (2.5L): Must be towed using a trailer

2019 Acadia AWD with V6 (3.6L):
It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.
Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes.
Use of a shield mounted in front of vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission.

This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.

Hopefully others with that specific model will chime in. If not, I'd recommend creating a new topic, with that model in the title.


Thanks, I did not follow the link.

I had previously posted I'm looking for a used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that can be flat towed.

2018 and up are beyond my budget and the 17 Denali flat tows according to the guide with the v6. Also the 2017 GMC Acadia Denali I believe only comes with a v6. The other Acadia trim packages offer the 2.5 4 cyl.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:


This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.


sure, when you follow remco's advice and your tranny blows up, just send them the bill and see what happens.
bumpy





Gnarley

Somewhere

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know why a 2013 Chevy Malibu can't be flat towed and the 2014 can be flat towed? I thought they were the exact same cars and I'm confused!

2manytoyz

Central FL

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

2manytoyz wrote:


This is from the company that makes vehicles towable for a living, knowing they could be liable for damage or accidents.


sure, when you follow remco's advice and your tranny blows up, just send them the bill and see what happens.
bumpy


I've been on this forum for 18 years, Remco's been around longer than that. I've never seen a single post of anyone having any issues with their products, or their advice.

So if it does happen, I guess we'll both see what happens... [emoticon]

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:



I've been on this forum for 18 years, Remco's been around longer than that. I've never seen a single post of anyone having any issues with their products, or their advice.

So if it does happen, I guess we'll both see what happens... [emoticon]


so you haven't seen anything in this forum. So I guess it never happened.
bumpy

2manytoyz

Central FL

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

2manytoyz wrote:



I've been on this forum for 18 years, Remco's been around longer than that. I've never seen a single post of anyone having any issues with their products, or their advice.

So if it does happen, I guess we'll both see what happens... [emoticon]


so you haven't seen anything in this forum. So I guess it never happened.
bumpy


I don't feed trolls. You've not added anything to this thread. Simply eristic. A really neat feature of this forum is the ability to block some people. Congratulations, you're the second one in all these years. Respond if you like, I'll never see it...

Gnarley

Somewhere

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alrighty guys, play nice on my thread. I can see points from both sides.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

 > Dinghy Towing guide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.