|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Dinghy Towing guide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gnarley wrote:

What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.

The easiest way and the correct way is to go looking at the cars you like that 'also' fit into your towing weight requirement. Then...…

1. open glove box of car
2. pull out car manual
3. Under recreational towing it will tell you whether the
car can be towed four down or needs a dolly.

Straight from the manufacturer is the 'correct' answer.

With my first toad, I too spun around reading all these so called complete towing articles that you will find are not complete and/or accurate.

Just read the cars manual for towing specs and the door panel for weight. IMHO I will not take info on whether any car can be towed 4-down unless I read it in the cars manual. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Honda CRVs are flat towable with an auto trans only certain older years. Some vehicles towable aren't now if they have switched to a CVT(continuously variable transmission). In fact I doubt any CVTs are towable and mamy conventional auto trans vehicles aren't either. A real problem since it's getting harder and harder to find manuals even if they make them. I believe that the owner's manual is the final authority. If it doesn't specify a "towing behind a motor home" section in the manual it probably isn't towable even if some other sources say it is. Not to say you couldn't but it would be risky and uncovered by warranty.

Jayco-noslide

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

The easiest way and the correct way is to go looking at the cars you like that 'also' fit into your towing weight requirement. Then...…

1. open glove box of car
2. pull out car manual
3. Under recreational towing it will tell you whether the
car can be towed four down or needs a dolly.

Straight from the manufacturer is the 'correct' answer.

Best advice here.
bumpy

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One problem with flat towing, especially FWD cars, is that the differential heats up the transmission fluid and there is no way to cool it. While the heat may not damage the fluid, it will expand. Now the fluid level is too high and may come in contact with the rotating gears. This puts air bubbles in the fluid which causes more heat and eventually it pukes out the fill tube.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gnarley wrote:

What I'm looking for is a used car perhaps a nice used 2014 -2017 that I can use as a daily driver with AWD and auto trans that gets respectable mpg and has 4 doors so I can also use it to transport my elderly parents when needed that's comfortable and somewhat luxurious with leather and quiet which has easy entry on the passenger side for both the front and rear occupants.
The 14 CRV meets your requirements.

Moving up the ladder is the 17 Lincoln MKX, owners manual says it can be flat towed. Both of these cars are AWD.

My 14 Grand Cherokee Overland can be flat towed. However only those with the right drive train. It's heavy at 5200 lbs and it's high which may not be suitable for seniors. 4WD and definitely not as comfortabe ride as the others above - think truck like ride.

Warning. EPS is a popular steering setup for newer cars for various reasons. But various makes and models DO NOT have adequate damping to be towed and can develop wobble when flat towed. Google Death Wobble. Hydraulic steering does not have this problem. This can occur for aligned cars with no worn parts not lifted and will not be documented in the owners manual.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gnarley wrote:

Look at a Ford Flex, or Lincoln MKT. Both towable 4 down. My parents are 85 and 86. Mom has limited mobility. They have a Flex and refuse to ride in any other car. The doors are big, and open wide.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have experience with the GMC Acadia Denali AWD? This has the Andriod Auto I want and everything else it seems! This would meet my needs and should be good for a few years. One thing about these GMC vehicles they all tend to have significant space in the wheel arches for towing weight adding to the step-in height to the floor and I'd likely lower it 2-4 inches!

Acadia FWD/AWD 3,956 65 MPH/None N/A Yes 21/26 $29,070-$44,920
Run engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes

Gnarley

Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bump... Anyone?

Gnarley wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the GMC Acadia Denali AWD? This has the Andriod Auto I want and everything else it seems! This would meet my needs and should be good for a few years. One thing about these GMC vehicles they all tend to have significant space in the wheel arches for towing weight adding to the step-in height to the floor and I'd likely lower it 2-4 inches!

Acadia FWD/AWD 3,956 65 MPH/None N/A Yes 21/26 $29,070-$44,920
Run engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for 5 minutes

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2015 Terrain SLE, AWD w/automatic tows just fine. I am averaging 22 to 25 mpg per tank full. My son has the Denali version of the same year and it is decked out with leather and all the spiffy stuff. I think there was a Caddy version also that year.

Hope this helps.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newer transmissions tend to have lubrication pumps. The older/crude transmissions used a splash gear to sling oil. Towing a newer vehicle can cause damage due to lack of fluid circulation.

Also, pay CLOSE attention to those vehicles that can be flat towed. MOST have limitations on speed, and distance. Very common to see "under 50 MPH, and no further than 50 miles".

There is another option. Check with Remco Industries. They've been around a LONG time, and offer solutions for many vehicles. They can add driveshaft or CV joint disconnect, or an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. Obviously the pump would be a much cheaper/easier option.

No affiliation with them, but I've looked into their services before buying the Jeep.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

What's unique about the Jeep is it has a true transfer case. To tow the vehicle, the transfer case is put in neutral, and the A/T in park. No miles are recorded on the odometer. I do have to leave (an unchipped) key in the ignition to unlock the steering - newer models don't have a locking column.

Good luck!

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Dinghy Towing guide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.