|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> HOV Lanes in Atlanta GA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Executive wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

From the Atlanta rules, you ARE violating the Law. Doug

I saw a guy run a red light yesterday. He didn't get pulled over. So, based on that, I guess it's ok to run red lights now.....[emoticon]...Dennis

I was just letting that man know that while he can do what he is doing it is still a violation of the law. You can violate the law all the time. NOT getting caught is not an excuse to violate the law. Doug

'Executive' is a former LEO and I'm sure was agreeing with you but just being a bit facetious. [emoticon]

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I consider my rig is a bus and yes I’ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year. There is a difference between HOV and the newer express toll roads that require a Sun, Peach, or NC transponder to use and NO, I do not use them in the MH.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

I consider my rig is a bus and yes I’ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year.

You may consider your rig to be a bus, but the state considers it to be a "motorhome" or "house car" or something along those lines. Legally speaking it's neither a bus nor a truck; laws or regulations that apply specifically to trucks and/or busses do not apply to motorhomes.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was stopped in Atl. in 2005 while riding the hov lane in my MH. I was pulling a car trailer with my vette and BMW bike on it. Officer that stopped me said he did so because I was the only one he saw in the coach. I told him I thought I was legal because motorcycles and bus's were allowed and My wife stuck her head out and asked him if he would like a cold drink.
He just chuckled a little took a coke and sent me on my way. What they would do today I have no idea but I still travel hov when my wife is with me.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Atlanta HOV rules. Notice that NO Trailers or towed vehicles are listed. So, if you tow, you could be fined. I doubt they would pull you over if keeping with flow of traffic. BUT, if you have a problem and impeded the HOV, they will probably issue a ticket. Doug
JUST FOUND THIS IN ATLANTA HOV and EXPRESS rule.

Vehicles with 2+ axles and/or 6+ wheels will not be allowed in the Express Lanes, as is the case in the HOV lanes.

as is the case in the HOV lanes.

The following vehicles may use HOV Lanes:

Vehicles with two or more (living and not pre-infant) persons.
Emergency Vehicles (Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Medical)
Motorcycles
Buses
Alternative Fuel vehicles properly licensed with an AF license plate.

The Express Lanes are outside I-285, the HOV are inside. Two very different types of lanes. HOV are free, express are toll. There is much signage prohibiting towing in the express lanes

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

I consider my rig is a bus and yes I’ve been using the Atlanta HOV lanes for 16 years but only a couple times/year.

You may consider your rig to be a bus, but the state considers it to be a "motorhome" or "house car" or something along those lines. Legally speaking it's neither a bus nor a truck; laws or regulations that apply specifically to trucks and/or busses do not apply to motorhomes.

I take the advice from my granddaughter who is married to a LEO & lives in GA - and she says if it looks like a bus and sounds like a bus - it's a bus. Since you don't live in GA - the advice is sound.

As long as the OP doesn't pick high traffic times to go thru Atlanta, they should be fine.

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> HOV Lanes in Atlanta GA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.