|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Out of State Purchase - Private Party

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to banking institution and discuss setting up an escrow account where the payment funds will be deposited. upon completion of the sale the funds will be release to the seller. if the seller requires fast cash then have the escrow account wire the funds to the sellers account. Can done on the same day. I have done this with buying cars but never a MH.

mromberg wrote:

Hey all.....looking for advice on how to handle an out of state purchase. We're in California - coach is for sale by a private party near Dallas, TX.

I definitely understand the importance of a professional inspection and will have that done. But as far as logistics involving transportation, transfer of funds, financing, etc.,etc.. Anyone do this type of deal recently? How'd it work out?

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, you can probably go to the DMV and get a temporary tag to get to back to CA, then you title, register and pay taxes in your home state. We have done this one a couple of private party out of state purchases. I'd go see it in person before purchasing though.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually it's pretty simple. After your purchase, all of which have been addressed above, just make sure the seller is the OWNER and has the authority to sign over the title. If title is help jointly, i.e. seller AND seller wife not seller OR seller wife, make sure they both sign. Also get a bill of sale showing costs etc. These are available on the internet for free or you can write your own. No notary necessary. Make sure the tags are current and you're good to go. Once you get back to San Diego County, take all the paperwork WITH the motor home to the DMV. They will need to verify the VIN. Pay your sales taxes, use fees and whatever else NewSCUM has tacked on this year and they'll either give you California plates there or mail everything to you. The title will come separately from the plates. Double check all signatures etc on the paperwork before you leave the seller. Otherwise it may be a hassle if somethings not correct.....yes, I purchased my first diesel in Houston and drove it to and registered it in California. Process was simple, the cost was not....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mromberg

escondido,ca,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great advice! I think we found a coach we liked better at a large dealer so now focusing our attention on that. Can the Colorado dealer include CA taxes in my financing? Not to keen on having to drop ~$8K at the DMV.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally the dealer will charge you Colorado taxes. Once you get to California, they will then charge you the difference between what you paid and what you owe to Ca. So you'll pay most of your tax in Colorado which you can include in your financing. California will always have some fees which you'll have to pay....Dennis

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Normally the dealer will charge you Colorado taxes. Once you get to California, they will then charge you the difference between what you paid and what you owe to Ca. So you'll pay most of your tax in Colorado which you can include in your financing. California will always have some fees which you'll have to pay....Dennis

I have not verified that this is still current, but a quick search for "vehicle sales tax reciprocity between Colorado and California" had many hits including this one:

http://www.massagent.com/info/reciprocitychart211.pdf

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

OP said "We're in California - coach is for sale by a private party near Dallas, TX."

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Out of State Purchase - Private Party
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.