RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2019 Chevy 2500 and Sundance XLT with new hitch too high

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Chevy 2500 and Sundance XLT with new hitch too high

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased a 2019 2500HD Chevy with a new Curt slider hitch. Hooked up the trailer and even at the lowest hitch setting, the trailer is about 4.5" high at the front compared to the rear of the trailer. I do have about 6" of clearance at the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer. The slider hitch at it's lowest setting is 19" above the bed. The non-slider version of the hitch at it's highest setting is 17" above the bed. I could see if the dealer where I purchased it will make some sort of a trade deal for the fixed mount but I am not sure if that will be too low. Not sure what to do now. Will the 4.5" difference really make a big difference in towing?
Thanks,
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a few inches nose high but I think having the 6 inches clearance is more important. I’ve been towing like this for 7 years and have had no problems. Upgrading to a higher load range tire helps with any tire concerns about the weight distribution nose high may cause.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You likely don't need the slider hitch, but you will want to keep a 6" minimum of bed rail clearance. You say about 6"s, so is that just eyeball measurement? If you actually have a measured 6"s, you would not want to decrease to 4"s by changing hitches. You could raise the trailer a little by going to larger tires/wheels if you have enough wheel well clearance. Adding the correct track alignment system can raise the trailer a couple of inches.

It likely comes down to raising trailer, maybe by adding a subframe, or just towing nose high. You know how it towed with the old truck, so see how the new truck tows in comparison. IMO, 3"s nose high or less for best tow, but you see much worse being towed.

Jerry

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I did measure the distance to the side rails and I agree that having that extra space is nice. I will check with a local shop today and see what they say about the trailer being nose high versus changing to a non-slider hitch and let you all know what they say. I just don't want to overload the rear bearings and I have gone to an "E" rated tire on the trailer.
Curly

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another thought Curly...noticing your FW is a rear kitchen model, likely means more wt in the rear. The heavier rear, with FW towed more than a couple inches nose high, could lead to chucking issues, and certainly more load on the rear trailer axle.

Jerry

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measuring the height distance between the front of the trailer and the rear of the trailer can magnify your problem. Measure the difference between the front of the trailer and the height of the trailer in between the axles.
After looking at your unit by doing a google search it looks like your axles are about 2/3 of the way back the trailer. My guess is you are roughly 3 inches high compared to the pivot point of the axles.
To get a really good answer as to whether you have a problem or not, take the unit to a scale. Weigh each axle of the trailer. If they are close and neither one of them is over the axle/tire ratings, you should be good.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a new 2019 Chevrolet 2500 HD. With our 5th wheel I have it set at 6" and my trailer is about 1 1/2 to 2" nose high which I am OK with. On my last truck I had about 4 1/2 inches in between my tonneau cover and my 5th wheel and never had any problems being that close.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure on the GMs, but Fords and Rams usually have blocks in the suspension that can be removed to lower the truck. Might want to check for that.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do continue with the nose high trailer I suggest you check the pin weight percentage. A nose high trailer becomes more sensitive to the pin weight and will require more than a level trailer to maintain good towing.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a level place, block the tires to the point the RV is "LEVEL". Now what is your bed clearance at tailgate? If over 6" subtract 6 from that number. Now subtract the clearance difference from your tire block height. THAT is how much your RV needs to be raised. The bed clearance difference number is how much the hitch can be lowered.

You will have a horrible towing experience like mentioned with too light of a pin.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Chevy 2500 and Sundance XLT with new hitch too high
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.