|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, just curious if anyone has had any experience camping while on TPN. My daughter has had some serious medical issues since she was born in July, she is doing fine now but will be on TPN for the next few months. We were hoping she'd be off of it by the summer but that doesn't seem likely. So, we still want to go camping with her but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience dealing with TPN while camping. I don't imagine it being much different than it is at home. Thanks!

Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guess that you're using a pump for the TPN. As long as you have a reliable power source for the pump (or for recharging its built-in battery), you're right - it shouldn't be any different than at home. A little extra care for the PIC line insertion site would be in order since you'll be "out in the wild," perhaps. When we were volunteer camp hosts at a National Forest campground, I was approached by a dad who's school-age daughter had a neurological disorder wherein she lacked the normal respiratory drive. She was OK while awake, but was dependent on BiPAP at night. We advised an electric-only site (they were tent campers) and they did fine. Of course, in the event of a power failure without backup, they would have had to keep their daughter awake until the power came back on - but TPN is not nearly so critical for a few hours.

Rob (retired Army nurse)

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does a TPN pump draw? Adequate solar, inverter and batteries with a backup generator can solve almost anything.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! We have two pumps that last about two days each so we shouldn't have an issue with power. We have a trailer and only use sites with electric and always have a pump charging so even if there is a power outage as long as it doesn't last 3 or 4 days we should be fine. She only needs TPN for 13 hours a day and will probably be down to about 7 or 8 by the summer so power shouldn't be too much of an issue. I was thinking we might need an extra fridge or something since the TPN will take up so much space in the trailer fridge and I'd don't really want that around all the other food and stuff. What a pain in the ass this is! Oh well!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.