|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electric blanket and inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sunset Gypsies

AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found an electric blanket that the inverter does not fry.

SoftHeat by Perfect Fit | Luxury Low-Voltage Electric Heated Blanket

The control and blanket run on 18 volt DC, separate power supply feeds the control from 120 vac. Works fine with voltage from a modified sine wave inverter.

Could probably replace the power supply with a 12 to 18 volt DC to DC converter to save energy.

* This post was edited 02/02/20 06:52pm by an administrator/moderator *

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything is more safe with a pure sine wave inverter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless I'm misreading, it doesn't need a DC power source. It's 120v AC powered but the heating circuits are DC. Conversion is all internal to the control unit.

Changing the voltage won't change the efficiency. Wattage is what determines heat output. Wattage is Volts x Amps If you crack open the controller and mess with the voltage assuming you don't increase the amps, you do reduce power consumption but you could achieve the same effect by simply turning down the thermostat so it runs for a shorter period of time.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Controller it appears runs off a DC supply that is MSW friendly

That's the problem when I was a child everythign was thermal breakers basically, MSW, PSW, DC it mattered not.. But today the controls are electronic and MSW tends to fry so this thread is a FIND.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Sunset Gypsies

AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Unless I'm misreading, it doesn't need a DC power source. It's 120v AC powered but the heating circuits are DC. Conversion is all internal to the control unit.

Changing the voltage won't change the efficiency. Wattage is what determines heat output. Wattage is Volts x Amps If you crack open the controller and mess with the voltage assuming you don't increase the amps, you do reduce power consumption but you could achieve the same effect by simply turning down the thermostat so it runs for a shorter period of time.

Yes it does work fine as it is. I was referring to power loss in the main inverter (12vdc to 120ac) and the blanket's power supply (120vac to 18vdc). A 12vdc to 18vdc converter replacing the blanket's power supply and running of the 12 volt circuits might be more efficient as it would remove the power loss in the inverter, but probably not enough to justify the cost of the converter.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At my parents house, the master bedroom was an addition with very poor heat. Not uncommon to drop into the 50s in there during winter.

They said a heated mattress pad and a couple of heavy blankets were more comfortable than an electric blanket.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Everything is more safe with a pure sine wave inverter.

+1. Besides a quality PSW isn't all that more expensive.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend is always cold and looked into electric blankets. They can form some type of field that the human body does not like. I dont remember the details besides deciding it's not good to sleep under them.(some of them.....all of them???)

Instead she cranks it full blast for an hour and turns it off before climbing into bed.

Just something to research if you care about that stuff.

Sunset Gypsies

AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

My friend is always cold and looked into electric blankets. They can form some type of field that the human body does not like. I dont remember the details besides deciding it's not good to sleep under them.(some of them.....all of them???)

Instead she cranks it full blast for an hour and turns it off before climbing into bed.

Just something to research if you care about that stuff.

Yes you are right. Most electric blankets use AC to heat the blanket which emits EMF. The blanket I referred to uses DC to heat it which reduces the EMF considerably.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunset Gypsies wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Yes it does work fine as it is. I was referring to power loss in the main inverter (12vdc to 120ac) and the blanket's power supply (120vac to 18vdc). A 12vdc to 18vdc converter replacing the blanket's power supply and running of the 12 volt circuits might be more efficient as it would remove the power loss in the inverter, but probably not enough to justify the cost of the converter.

That makes more sense but as you say, how much power will you really save? Also, I'm betting the control head is not designed to be pulled apart and rewired, so how sturdy will it be an how much cost and effort will be involved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electric blanket and inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.